Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrevise

Sitram for high-heat sauteing?

msrevise
17 years ago

I'm looking for a 10-12" saute pan that i can really saute on (meaning high heat) on my gas range. I've seen Sitram and Paderno recommended. The Sitram aluminum disk bottom line seems very affordable, compared w/others (Paderno = $$$). Is this the right type of pan to get for this job? I like that the handle doesn't have rivets, b/c i think they'd get in the way. Only thing is it doesn't seem to have a "helper" handle, and in a 12" i think i'd want one.

Would you recommend Sitram, or is there another one i should be looking at?

I'm replacing my Farberware disk bottom pans, and i'm also looking for a good slower cooking pot for braising and stews, for which i'd guess a tri-ply pot would be better. Any advice on that?

TIA!

Comments (4)

• lindac
    17 years ago

For high heat sauteing ( and I trust you mean sautee with fat of some kind, not braising,) you can't beat cast iron, It's a non stick pan that works for high heat. I have a calphalon large sautee pan with a helper handle...but it has rivets and doesn't heat as evenly as cast iron.

And for slower cooking soups and stews, I love Le cruset or another enamel covered cast iron.
    Linda C

• msrevise
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lindac, thank you for the suggestions. I have a 10.5" cast iron skillet that i use for certain things (burgers, omelettes, and frittatas, for instance), but i was looking for a nonreactive saute pan that i could get in a larger size (not as heavy, perhaps, as cast iron) to use for stir frying, when i don't feel like using the wok, or making sauces that require first sauteing onions or shallots but to which i might add tomatoes, or even for risotto. I have a gas range, and I'm not sure whether i should be looking at disk-bottom pans or tri-ply pans for these types of dishes (or one of each!).

I've been looking at Le creuset trying to figure out the right size and shape, and the lowest price (ouch!). Right now i'm thinking 7 1/4 qt. round will allow me to do a stew, a brisket for a large group, or a chicken (altho oval might be better for the latter). When would i use one of these vs. a stainless steel one? The latter for higher heat, faster cooking?

• lindac
    17 years ago

If you are wanting a pan to sautee onions or whatever and then make a sauce in the same pan, I recommend a Myer non stick....
    You don't want to Wok cook in that, but you can turn the heat up high without any harm if you are cooking something.
    Nothing stir frys like a wok....I don't use anything else.
    As for the Le cruset?....keep looking, you definitly need more than one, and there are buys out there.
    This is my latest.....$22 at TJ Maxx....very nice, made to sell for well over $100 but there at the sale table for $22.

Keep shopping!
    Linda C

• msrevise
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"you definitly need more than one"--you're such an enabler, i'm in big trouble! You won't believe what i got today: I went to Homegoods (which is owned by TJ Maxx), after someone tipped me off, and i got not one but TWO Le Creuset ovens at half price, with no apparent defects. I got the 5-qt oval in red and the 7 1/4-qt round oven, but not in my favorite color (kiwi). Had to prove to DH that these are worthwhile, so i went right out and picked up a whole chicken to roast, and it's cooking now (smells good, too)! I guess i have to post on Cooking and find out if there are any special tricks to cooking a chicken or roast in one of these vs. a regular roasting pan.

In addition, i found a Tramontina 12" tri-ply chef's-type pan with two small handles, but no lid--i think i can order one. I'm a little put off by the sharp edges, though. I noticed only the nonstick didn't have them. Will decide whether or not to keep it...