Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round or oval?

Posted by Deee (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 05 at 16:26

I'm about to take the plunge and buy some Le Creuset. Are the round more versatile or should I get the oval? What do you use more of? Do they cook differently?

Thanks for answering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round or oval?

Dee, Personally I like the round. It fits on top of the burner better.

Teri

o

When roasting a chicken or pot roast with vegetables in the oven, I don't think the shape matters too much. But for simmering chilli, soup, stew, goulash, etc. where you have ingredients in a liquid that mostly fills the pot, I think a round shape is better, because it fits on top of the burner better as Teri said. The heat conduction *may* be better in a round pan on a stove-top burner. Surrounded by the heat in the oven, either would be fine.

o

Most of the things we cook in ours, e.g., roasts, chickens, etc., fit better in an oval oven, so that's what we bought. We've had no trouble at all using it on the stovetop.

o

No question! You need both!
The only oval piece I have is an oval baker....the rest are round.
A potroast or a chicken fits very will into my round Dutch ovens....
Linda C

o

I have a medium sized (around 5.5 qts.) round and a large oval one (around 8 qts.). I use them both for different things. Although the large oval one is da*n heavy ;o)

o

I just bought the 4.5 qt oval French Oven. It seems to be a perfect size/shape for small pot roasts.

The real reason I bought oval instead of round was because...um...I thought it was prettier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here