Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenvt

Tramontina pro knives vs. ??

lenvt
14 years ago

Hello--

I've done a forum search and haven't found anything that addresses these kinves. They are rated well by CR (#6 behind various Henkels and Wusthorf models --which I take with a grain of salt.)

I realize that a knife is a personal thing, and that these, made in China most likely would be inferior to a Wusthorf or German/Japanese knives. I just want to upgrade my knives and don't know that I want to spend the green on the Wusthorf if I am unlikely to be able to tell the difference. I do want something decent, forged not stamped, but I am not doing serious prep for a cast of thousands either.

I am now using a cheap, stamped carbon steel set purchased and TJ Maxx 100 years ago, which still take an edge but not for long.

Has anyone used the Tramontina Professional series knives? Thoughts? Opinions? Total dream object would be the Wusthorf.

Thanks for any input.

Len

Comments (4)

• carolinachick
    14 years ago

I had some of these because they were highly rated by CR. I did like them, I have small hands and they fit great. However, they did fall apart rather quickly. My favorite one literally came apart in two pieces! The customer service is also non-existant. I mean actually non-existant. I finally found a website for them out of Brazil, but never received a reply. I gave up and gave the ones that did not fall apart to my mother-in-law.
    Good luck.

• lenvt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carolinachick--

Thank you so much for the info! Still shopping and seriously considering the Wusthof Ikon knives. They feel great in hand. I've got some tramontina tri-ply cookware pieces that work well and seem well made. Sounds like the quality doesn't translate to the knives.

Lenvt

• John Liu
    14 years ago

An inexpensive knife is always rated among the top choices by Cook's Illustrated magazine. It is the Victorinox Forschner Fibrox chef's knife. Working cooks use these, they are light, slim, comfortable, no slip handles, made in Switzerland, and inexpensive. You can get a set including 10" chef's knife in a roll for $100, or a set including block and steak knives but only a 8" chef's for about $140. The 10" chef's alone is about $30. Check out Amazon or similar websites. I have two that are over 20 years old, and I use them more than my more expensive knives. No connection to the company.

• calliope
    14 years ago

I began to appreciate good cutlery when I married a butcher. LOL. A good knife doesn't have to be exorbitant, but they'll be a substantial investment and worth it. A good quality knife holds it's sharpening, doesn't rust or nick easily, won't pit, and is well balanced for handling. I've seen too much really inferior steel anymore coming from China. I'd want to be sure the blades are made with domestic, high carbon steel, or made by an established company (like many of the better grade German firms who guarantee their steel quality).

Butchers buy their own tools, and I just went over to see if there were any brand stamps on his, and sorry there aren't.......but I've been using his knives since he retired and they sit in the blocks next to the crappy ones I had before were were married. My old knives rust just from the ambient moisture in the air.

I have purchased some knives from the firm I'm linking to. I've watched them being manufactured and they're still produced by hand, individually. Hard to find that anymore.

You might want to look at this site to see what you think. No, I am not affiliated with them......just live close to where they're made and they have a good local reputation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warther knives