Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

Mandolin & Food Chopper questions

krikit
17 years ago

I am thinking of purchasing 2 of the Pampered Chef Producst - "Ultimate Mandolin" and "Food Chopper". I would appreciate hearing of any experience anyone might have with either of these products, or if there are better choices - I am having probs these days w/chopping using a knife due to my hands.

Thanks,

Frances

Comments (6)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I am NOT a fan of Pampered Chef...I think their tools are way over priced to pay for the food served at the demos and the representative.
    Zlyss makes a great food chopper for about $15.
    The food chopper and the mandolin from Pampered chef will cost you about $100.
    Yesterday I saw a cuisinart 7 cup food processor at Kohl's for about $129 I wouldn't even think of spending $100 on beginner tools when I could have one powerful machine that will do it all for about $30 more...or less if you can find a sale.
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Exactly what are the problems with your hands? A madolin can be very dangerous, as compared to a knife, because it's very easy to include finger tips with whatever you are slicing. This is particularly true if you suffer from, say, arthritis or similar ailments that make gripping difficult.

I suspect Linda is on the right track. If you get a good quality food processor with the right accessory blades, then you'll be able to accomplish nearly any cutting/chopping task in comfort and safety.

• llaatt22
    17 years ago

A good mandolin is an expensive, cranky, sort of tool. Using one correctly is very dependent on having a very well maintained, sharp, blade, top quality produce, a butcher's glove for protection, and the ability to exert considerable force in a skilled,controlled, manner. The strain on the fingers, wrist, elbow, and shoulder is considerable when more than small amounts are involved.

A food processor is a much better idea.

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

I've heard that the best mandolines are the cheap and dangerous ones from the Asian market.

They're very sharp and work quite well, but may not have the protective mechanisms of more expensive versions.

• krikit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Saturday I attended a party where this mandolin was demonstrated. I was very under-impressed, and opted for purchasing their 'hold and slice' thing for just a few $$ and using my knife for slicing onions etc; and will take your advice and put my money towards a good food processor. I have fibro-myalgia and doing much with my hands is painful, plus dangerous because I've lost a lot of my grip. Thanks so much for the excellent advice - I've become very dependent on checking things out here before making any purchases - it is such a wonderful resource!

Thanks again,
    Frances

• tinkerbells
    15 years ago

Do not waste your money on this mandolin. It is very difficult to use. The blades do not slide in easily. The company will not back this product. Evidently they realize they have made something that does not work. We could not find our receipt and they would not honor the warranty. I will never go to another pampered chef party.