Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Le Creuset Black Enamel Cast Iron vs. White Enamel Cast Iron

Posted by maddiemoo (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 7:15

Is there a difference? I have been looking to buy, and it seems the "sets" offer the skillet in black enamel vs the white enamel over the cast iron. I see the white enamel on cooking shows and am wondering if the black enamel is less effective or just a cheaper line from Le Creuset? Also wondering if the other pieces are the white enamel in these "sets", or they are all the black? Seems like I see the saucier listed by the piece only in the white enamel over cast iron.....Is this a better pan line from Le Creuset? Would rather have the good stuff, if possible. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Le Creuset Black Enamel Cast Iron vs. White Enamel Cast Iron

The white color has been discontinued replaced with Dune. The lighter enamel interior is actually a sand color. The black enamel is better for high temp cooking so it's used on their frypans, grill pans and woks. It's better for that purpose. It's definitely not inferior, just better suited for the job. The only line that has the black enamel on all the pieces in the black matte or satin black. The advantage is the black will season with use, and doesn't show staining as the sand enamel will over time.

o

ok....great, thanks for your input.

o

I think some of the pieces are just plain cast iron inside, enamaled only on the outside - like the larger frying pans.

o

"I think some of the pieces are just plain cast iron inside, enamaled only on the outside - like the larger frying pans."

Nope.

Le Creuset Skillets

"Le Creuset pans and skillets yield impeccable results time after time. The inner cooking surface is satin black enamel which seals in juices creating a succulent and tender meal."

To the O.P., it's basically all the same...

o

Well they've changed them. The one I had from years ago was just cast iron inside. I see their griddle is still cast iron but that looks to be the only one.

o

Sorry, wrong again! ;-)

Le Creuset Giant Reversible Grill/Griddle

"Now, Le Creuset's porcelain enameled cast iron gives you the benefits of cast iron the first time out of the box. Don't be fooled by the rough black exterior - every inch of Le Creuset cookware is covered by porcelain enamel."

I'd be curious to see what particular item you had -- since Le Creuset's trade has always been enamel ware, you may have had a very rare/collectible item...

o

Gee are we playing Wrong Again?
This was probably 1979? 1980? I don't think you can say that it was enamled then from what the website says now. THe little tiny frying pan was enamled, flame outside, whitish inside. I never used the larger one because I don't cook enough and didn't know anything about seasoning a cast iron pan (this was pre internet). Seeing as how it would rust I seriously doubt it was enamled.
I sold it at a garage sale for very little.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here