Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandolin for tomatoes? Blender, juicer recommendations?

Posted by sophiemae (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 5:31

I'm tired of uneven tomato slices. Is there such a thing as a mandolin that slices tomatoes? Or should I just use a tomato slicer? Do those things actually work?

I also need to get a new blender for my green smoothies. My B&D, which I loved for a long time, just started producing dark grey particles in the pitcher. I finally figured it must be gasket gunk, or some such, somehow creeping in from the bottom. Anyhow, I don't need any secret ingredients.

I'm saving my pennies for a nice juicer. Wish the Jack LaLanne was as good as they claim. I'm cheap thrifty, love pulp in my juice and hate complicated cleaning. Is there a perfect juicer for me?

Much obliged for y'all's input. 8-]

ICA,
Sophie ^i^

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandolin for tomatoes? Blender, juicer recommendations?

Sophie, also try the Cooking Forum. This forum is pretty slow, but the Cooking group is very active.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum

o

I have this French mandoline from Lee Valley Tools. It ain't cheap, but is extremely sturdy, and the cutting width is infinitely variable. Keep in mind that it is very difficult with any tool to cut soft tomatoes uniformly thin, but otherwise, this gadget is great for all veggies, and it collapses quite flat for easy storage.

Can't help you with a juicer, but my blender is a VitaMix 3600+ which is now over 25 yrs old and quite retro looking. Still love it, and after the passage of that amount of time, I've almost forgotten what I paid for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley French Mandoline

o

OXO good grips makes a hand held tomato slicer. Our customers like it very much. Adjustable width, can go in the top rack of the dw. I have had my Jack LaLane juicer for quite a few years. I love it. The hopper is large and can accommodate larger fruits so there is very little chopping before hand. The "blade can also go in the dw as well as the collection container. Don't know what you read about them that is negative, but I have and continue to have nothing but good to say about my JL juicer. NancyLouise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here