Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellgetter

how do you use a rice steamer

kellgetter
15 years ago

I acquired a rice steamer from a garage sale. Now if only I knew how to use it! Can anybody instruct me?

Comments (13)

• atomicvole
    15 years ago

What brand and model.
    Searching by manufacturer can often allow downloads of operation instructions.

My simple Zenjuroshi, uses a supplied measuring cup, and marks along the side for water levels. Each mark corresponds to each cup of rice used. It also has a steamer insert, a slotted raised disk that sits on the bottom, a little bit of water under that, some veggies and wait for the ding and they are done. Mine is very simple in operation, much like a toaster, been using it for nearly 18 years.

• kellgetter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a Salton RA-3. Tried looking it up but no manual is available online. Great idea though. Sadly, I don't have the rice measure for it. Hope I'm not doomed to a perfectly good unusable product.

• asolo
    15 years ago

Nothing definite but here's a site with 143 reviews. Maybe something in there. I googled "Salton RA-3 reviews".

FWIW, I have a Panasonic. Cost too much ($160.00) but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Superior rice. Best I've found is Kokuho Rose. Different world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salton Rice Cooker reviews

• kellgetter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Multiple heads are better than 1. I Googled the model before your suggestion & didn't come across that link. From the reviews I can see why I acquired this lil number so cheap. Perhaps I'll look into purchasing a real steamer like the ones you mentioned asolo. Thanks a bunch!

• asolo
    15 years ago

If you're going to splurge, the one I have (2 years. Perfect from day 1) is Panasonic SR-MM10NS available at Williams-Sonoma. This is the one that "won" the Wall Street Journal shoot-out a couple of years ago although I'm sure its competitors are just as good. With the machine and Kokuho Rose, I've made many converts among family and friends. Two closest friends, after poo-pooing my "extravagant" purchase for months, both bought one for themselves upon dining with me and tasting the result.

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

It ain't rocket science, so don't sweat it. Worst that will happen is that you'll mess up a couple of batches while figuring out the proportions, but here's a seat-of-the-pants trick for measuring the proportions of rice and water:

Put the rice in the pot, spread out so it's flat and not a mound. (Some people recommend rinsing the rice first.) Hold your index finger vertically so it's just barely touching the rice. Fill the pot with water to the point where the water level just touches the finger crease of the distal finger joint (that is, the finger joint nearest the fingernail). Then close the pot and turn on the rice cooker.

See what kind of results that gives you: if it's gummy, don't use quite so much water next time, if it's dry use a little more water. If that technique works for you, you never need to measure anything.

OTOH, if you want or need to measure: I've had a couple of rice cookers, and found that the included measuring 'cup' is actually 6 ounces, so that when cooked it ends up making about 1 cup of cooked rice. So you can use a quarter-cup measure three times for each cup of cooked rice you want. If you want to end up with 3 cups of cooked rice, measure out into the pot 18 ounces (2 and 1/4 cups) of rice, fill the water to the 3 cup mark on the pot, and close it and cook it.

• kellgetter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again asolo. You rock Arley! Gr8 tips! I appreciate you guys for taking to the to help me out. Group hug, LOL!

• kellgetter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arley! Here's a follow up! Did exactly as you recommended. My rice is stellar!!! YEAAAAAAAAAH! I luv you, LOL!

• asolo
    15 years ago

Can't go through life eating inferior rice! Good on ya!

• kellgetter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Touche! My inferior rice are indeed over! Next stop, mastering sushi!

• ntt_hou
    15 years ago

We, asian, cook rice... no measure:o)

Generally, 1 part of rice with 2 parts of water. Do that on your first try. Then, add or subtract the water accordingly because different type of rice absorbs different level of water. Even the same type of rice asborb differently due to when it was harvested.

You do want to rinse rice to get rid of the starch that covers the rice.

As a general instruction for an electric rice cooker: Once the rice and water is in the cooker, press the button in the front down. When it pops back up, it is done (approximately 15-20 mins.). Watch out for hot steam when open the lid.

Note that this model doesn't seemed to have a "keep warm" feature. So, don't leave it on for too long once the rice is cooked.

• md_shentop_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Welcome(http://www.shentop.net) the most professional commerce supplies of world's maximum one-stop B2C market from China, ShenTop supply One-stop-shopping service, Catering Equipment(include Baking, Snack, Display, Store, Food Processing, Restaurant, Kitchen Appliances, Beverages ), Beer/ Wine Cooler, Outdoor Funiture,Bakery Equipment, Home Appliance, Hotel products and so on.
    ShenTop web: http://www.shentop.net

Email: md.shentop@gmail.com
    Tel: 86-757-22662473
    MSN: Md.shentop@hotmail.com
    FaceBook: http://facebook.com/shentop
    We spread love and sunlight! ÃÂÃÂ???????ÃÂ?

Here is a link that might be useful: shentop

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Shirley Tan is obviously a crook. Spammers try to get you to go to their links, then sell your email address to lots of other spammers. They doi not sell real products, no matter what their websites state. They'll steal your credit card info, tho.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals