Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reusing canning lids question

Posted by hykaiaxgun (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 20:23

Hi,
I'm new to canning and I know that you should not reuse canning lids but I am wondering if that means only if they have been used in the canning process first. I have jars and lids that I used to store herbs and now want to use to can salsa and I'm thinking it's ok but I want to make sure. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reusing canning lids question

Be sure that you ask this on the Cooking forum. The folks there are experts on the subject of canning!

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking forum

o

If you have not subjected the sealing material to heat and have not subjected it to extreme pressure in tightening the bands so as to leave an impression in the sealing material, they should be safe to use for canning. If, while cooling, a seal fails to develop, then they were not good to use. How many lids are you talking about? You could always try one or two along with some new lids to see how the older ones perform. If they do not seal, then just refrigerate the jar or two and use them first.

o

As long as lids are sterilzed and have no dents/bents at the rim, I reuse. I don't can anything tricky... tomatoes in different forms, pickles, etc. I'm sure "experts" will cringe, but as long as they're clean and seal after processing, I go for it. Hasn't killed me yet!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here