Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stoneware dishes - bad idea?

Posted by firsthome (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 17:51

We have had our Pfaltzgraff Heritage dishes for probably 10 years now. The dishes were getting scratched and marked up pretty bad. It seams to gave gotten even worse in the last year we have had our new 18/10 stainless steel flatware (Crate and Barrel Charlemagne). I have tried cleaning the dishes with Bar Keepers Friend and while they did clean up ok (not perfect, but ok) as soon a dish was used the marks were all back showing everywhere the utensil had scraped the dish. I guess I could scrub my dishes after every use, but that's just not practical...so I started
looking for new dishes we may like.

Of course we fell in love with more stonewear dishes. The ones we like are made in Portugal and have a lovely shape and unlike the Pfaltzgraff Heritage are a lovely taupe color rather than white.

I guess my question is, is stonewear always going to give me these mark issues? Is it my new flatwear causing the issues or is it jay an issue with stoneware? Are certain stoneware brands better than others?

I guess I am trying to figure out if I should pass on these pretty dishes. Am I destined to have the same issues. I am sure with the taupe coloring marks will be less noticeable. Should switch to porcelain or china? Would those be less likely to mark? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stoneware dishes - bad idea?

Try posting in the Cooking Forum. The people there are very active and generous with sharing their experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum

o
RE: Stoneware dishes - bad idea?

I had Pfaltzgraff Heirloom stoneware and loved it. Even though it was taupe it marked grey marks from flatware, and it chipped. I replaced it with Noritake China (Sweet Leilani) for good china and Corelle (Country Cottage) for everyday. The lighter weight of these is a nice change after the heavy stoneware.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here