Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stick blenders?

Posted by aprilquilts (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 16:48

I'm considering purchasing a stick blender. Is this something that you all use a lot? What types of things do you make? The brands I'm considering are Kitchenaid, Cuisinart, and Braun. I'm kind of keen on a Braun one I saw on Macy's website. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Braun stick blender

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stick blenders?

Looks pretty good! I don't know if I would use the extra attachments, but maybe you would?

You want a metal shaft on a stick blender - not plastic - so you can puree soups right in the pot while they are still hot. Which is the main reason I got my (imported) stick blender years ago when they first came out.

Go for it!
Teresa

o

The L.A. Times food section often includes an article in which a group of kitchen experts rate different brands of a specified gadget or appliance. A while ago they examined stick blenders and concluded that the Kitchenaid was superior in design and performance. If I recall correctly, the reviewers touted KitchenAid's larger size to be a plus for an immersion hand blender. We purchased one based on their comments and have been very happy with it. We've used it for soups, sauces, even milkshakes. The other night we even used it to make fresh bread crumbs, which came out a bit finer than we had wanted but still perfectly okay.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid immersion hand blender

o

Does anyone know how many watts the kitchenaid has? I know the braun has 400. That seems like a lot. The Cuisinart I saw today was 200 watts. Does that matter?

What are some things you use your stick blenders for? Thanks, April

o

I have the Kitchenaid stick blender and love it. I have no idea how many watts. It does everything I want it to do. I make a lot of smoothies with frozen fruit--the blender has no problem with them.

o

I have the KitchenAid and love using it. I also bought it based on a Consumer Reports-type of article in the paper. They tested and compared things like noise, power, length of cord, price, etc.

I couldn't find out how many watts it has, but it is very powerful and the job is done in seconds.

I've used mine for salad dressings, soups, smoothies and, thanks to Arley's suggestion, combining butter and EVOO which I keep in a tub in the frig. With the whisk attachment, you can whip cream, beat egg whites, mix puddings, etc. On KA's website, if you click on the Use and Care Guide, there is a sampling of recipes.

o
stick blenders review

Whoops! I thought I had posted the artcle in this thread. Here's a link to the review of the blenders in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Here is a link that might be useful: AJC review of stick blenders

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here