Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about vacuum food savers......

Posted by bryansda (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 8, 06 at 16:35

Are there any brands out there that will seal any kind of bag? What I mean, can chips be resealed in their bags or do they have to be moved to the saver's brand of bag? Years ago I had a sealer that I used all the time, but then couldn't find bags for it so got rid of it. If I remember correctly I could reseal bags that chip, cookies, etc. came in with no problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about vacuum food savers......

The vacuum food savers will seal any bag such as chips. But it won't vacuum the air out of those bags. I press down on those bags before sealing to get as much air out of the bag as possible.

I was explained by a representative of one of the vacuum sealer companies that the reason you must use their bags is that a regular sandwich type bag's thickness won't be able to withstand the vacuuming strength of the machine. That's why they use those special bags when vacuuming and sealing foods.

o

Vacuum seal chips? When the air will be taken out, all the chips will be crushed!

o

MART,
You are correct, re: crushed. But they DO have canisters, or you can use mason jars to store chips in without crushing. BTW, from personal knowledge, it will CRUSH FRESH fruit like strawberrys, blueberries, etc. Please DONT ask, lol

o

I think all the Food Savers have a 'sealing strip' for folks who use the rolls. One cuts off what length is needed, seals the bottom of the bag, fills it with food, and then inserts the top into the vacuum channel to remove the air. We have sealed potato chip bags this way - no air is sucked out, just the bag top is 'melted' together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here