Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue star ranges - rnb vs rcs models

Posted by carson2 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 16:08

Hi
I'm looking seriously at buying a Blue Star 30" Range. I am having some trouble though deciding between the RCS model that I found here at costco

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10349760&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA:103:323&N=4009257&Mo=39&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=323&Ns=P_Price:1::P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

and their much more expensive (more than double) RNB model. I know that the RNB has a much higher output burner but can't find out what else is different - I've emailed the company and they haven't bothered to get back to me - frustrating!

If anyone knows it would be much appreciated. For more than double the cost I would think there must be some very significant differences!

Also if anyone has experience with the RCS model please let me know what you think. Unless it is total junk I'm having trouble finding ways to justify spending all that extra cash!

Thanks much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue star ranges - rnb vs rcs models

I think you'll get more response by posting to the Appliances Forum.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliances

o

Thanks
I'll do that

o

Call them. I had calls returned promptly on a couple of occasions when I was shopping this winter, and then buying early in the spring. Others on the appliance forum have also posted good feedback by phone from BlueStar, from Mandy among others.

There are threads on the appliance forum that discuss some of the differences between the RNB and the RCS, as well as departures from the norm with the Costco (and other special run models) of RCS. The ranges are similar in many respects, and there are threads about "hot-rod" modifications to boost the output of the RCS burners as well (search for these and mojavean). Off the top of my head, I don't recall whether the Costco RCS has a convection oven, but you likely know already. The newer RNB ranges have the high output burners and better insulated oven doors. They also offer a choice of color. With an RNB order, you also have quite a few options when it comes to specifying the details -- for instance, on our 36" RNB, I had them move the left-hand supernova burner from the front to the rear, bringing the simmer burner to the front of the range -- works well for me and the upcharge for the custom arrangement was very small. OTOH, the RCS offers a very attractive option -- an open-burner range that shares many attributes of the RNB at a very big discount.

o

Response to djg1:

I have been looking at a new stove, and from what I could find the Costco RCS models are the same as those listed from Blue Star website. Also they are extremely well priced here. RCS 30" $2'650 & RCS 36" $$3'465 including taxes and delivery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here