Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big cookware upgrade questions

Posted by bfg9k (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 8, 06 at 11:09

I am finally ready to begin replacing some of our cookware, which consists of a 6-year old nonstick Farberware set that cost like $50. The nonstick is all peeling, they're warped, they're junk!

So I am in the market for a good quality stainless steel brand to buy a few pans from. I like the tri-ply up the sides construction. All-Clad has miserably uncomfortable handles so that brand is out... I need a saute pan and a few sauce pans. I'd like induction-capable pans for that day in the future when I have an induction stove. Can anyone make some suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big cookware upgrade questions

Take a look at Henckels International Classic Clad. I have many pieces of All-Clad and like it very much. But I have the Henckels 5qt saute casserole and can't say enough about its design and quality of construction. You can find a couple sets as well as individual pieces on cooking.com and Amazon. I'll include a link to my pan that I bought on Amazon for $99, free shipping -- quite a deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Henckels saute casserole

o

I've got two Henckels pieces. Love 'em. They're the most comfortable to use of all my stainless, do the job they're supposed to do, and the price ain't bad. I'll be adding more of them over time.

Only drawback is that Henckels, proportionately, seems to have fewer pieces in open stock. And I don't like buying kits.

I've got a 1-quart Simply Calphalon that I like. The handle design isn't quite as comfortable as the Henckels, IMO. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of this line.

Based on a recent experience---which we've discussed in another thread---you couldn't give me any All-Clad. Their customer service seems to be non-existent.

o

The Henckel's looks nice but I'd have to try out that funky-looking handle. I've found the De Buyer brand online (www.mycookingstore.com) which has tube handles that I'm used to. Prices are a bit under All-Clad. Since I need a wide variety I could invest in a small fry pan and a ~1 qt saucepan of each brand to try them out.

o

Yeah, initially the handle does look strange. Until you pick up a piece, and realize that a lot of thought and testing must have gone into the design. It's the most comfortable handle I've ever used. And it balances the pot or pan in your hand.

o

That 5qt saute casserole is the only piece of Henckels I own, and it has the two little helper handles -- perfect if you want to but this large pan in the oven -- so I can't really comment on their regular handles.

Personally, I have no problem with the All-Clad handles myself. But if you do get used to and like the Henckels funky ones, you would be getting cookware equal in quality for a much better price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here