Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie5il

le Creuset

maggie5il
18 years ago

Since my kitchen remodel I've bought several pieces on sale in addition to my new tri clad cookware set. Probably more than I need. In the le Creuset I have a 2 qt pan, a grill pan, the 5 qt buffet casserole and 5 qt dutch oven (a Staub). I think I'm going to return the grill pan. I'm not sure what I'd use it for but when I look at it I see a sticking mess waiting to happen. Do you think I need a dutch oven as well as the same size casserole? What could I do with one I couldn't do with the other? Although......I love the look of that casserole. Opinions?

Comments (33)

• demicent
    18 years ago

I was just looking at the le Creuset at TJ Maxx today. It's the first time I've had my hands on it and it feels lovely. The items they sell are "seconds" but I didn't note any damage to the enamel. I need to do some price shopping to see if I can get first quality for anywhere near the price of the TJ Maxx seconds.

My plan was to purchase a smaller sized dutch oven for the things that I like to cook covered in liquid, and a larger one for things that I like to cook "shallower".

Re: the 5 qt buffet casserole and dutch oven, do you do a lot of entertaining? Would you be cooking/presenting with both at the same time?

Is your 5 qt dutch oven deeper than the casserole?

• rose2273
    18 years ago

Maggie,
    I use my 5 Quart dutch oven for roasting chicken, pork loin etc. It does a great job and is really easy to clean up. After the roast is done, you can place the dutch oven on the oval burner on my cooktop to make gravy from the drippings - something I never get around to doing. I am not sure if you are able to do that with the casserole. I don't have one - - yet! I love the pieces I have and would love some more.
    Rose

• lindac
    18 years ago

The Dutch oven has a lid....
    I have 2 5 quart ovens....and a 10 quart one....an augratin dish, 2 sauce pans and 4 frypans....I use tham all for one thing or another.
    Linda C

• maggie5il
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow. I love my le creuset. I cooked soup in the 5 qt dutch oven this weekend and made a beef stew in the 5 qt. buffet pan (which is much shallower than the dutch oven). So there you have it! Keeping them both. No, I entertain next to never and the last thing I need are 2 5 qt. pans for the 2 of us. But I love them so much I'm keeping them anyway. Thanks for your responses. Hum...fry pans, you say?

• lindac
    18 years ago

LOL! And au gratin dishes!!!
    Welcom to the club!
    Linda C....an enabler!

• mdmc
    18 years ago

QVC has Staub. It is made in France and suppose to be just as good as Le Creuset. The company has been around for many years(about 100). The special value for today was the 6 qt oval dutch oven with a trivet for $58.78. I will post here in a couple of weeks and let you know how I like it. They have alot of other pieces on QVC.com

• sigh
    18 years ago

I absolutely LOVE my Le Creuset! I have an 8 qt dutch oven that is my winter work horse & is outstanding for things like Cajun roast beef and gumbo. My 2 qt heart shaped pot doesnt get a lot of use (I'll admit I got sucked in because it was so cute) but it's great for hot crusty dips & baked beans. I also have a 2 1/2 qt "tagine" pan (looks more like a paella pan, shallow & round) that doesn't get much use but it's still nice for things like seafood risotto. I would dearly love to have more. My father in law has a bunch of Le Creuset huge dutch ovens and a few saucepans and they're all easily 40 years old. Look immaculate & clean up like a dream, just like my signifiacntly newer ones.

So glad you're keeping both the dutch oven & the buffet. And since the pans clean up so easily I'd definitely think about keeping the grill pan. That's going to be my next Le Creuset purchase. The bare cast iron is already seasoned so it cleans up almost as easily as the enameled.

Happy cooking!

Nina

• Lynne_SJO
    18 years ago

Ditto on the wonders of cooking w Le Creuset. I have so many pieces that I have lost count. I buy by color also and am now lusting after that beautiful lime green that Williams Sonoma is selling, but cannot seem to find something that I want but don't have yet.

PS: I have the grill pan and LOVE it. We use it 2-3 times a week to grill salmon fillet. Start by searing it on the cooktop (w just a spray of Pam) about 1.5-2 min per side, then finish under the grill. Perfect every time. We also grill veggies this way when not using the barbecue. Easy as pie to clean up, though putting it in the DW is not sufficient. I rinse and use scrub brush w hot soapy water, then use an sos soap bad (fine steel wool, which after 5 years of constant use has not harmed the non-stick surface. Your experience may vary...) and then finish with more hot soapy water and then rinse. It still looks new.

L

• maggie5il
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lynne - Darn! I returned the oval grill pan! Couldn't figure out what I'd use it for. We aren't meat or seafood eaters. Never thought of vegtables. Chicken breasts I put in the George Foreman. So you mean you sear on the cooktop and when you say finish under the grill, do you mean broiler? I had bought it at Williams Sonoma for only $34.99! Maybe I better head back over and see if it's still there. The one I had was a black surface - it didn't say or look like a non stick finish though.

• blondelle
    18 years ago

maggie5IL, I've had the LC grill and much prefer the Staub. It picks up a seasoning more easily, and it's easier to clean. QVC is selling their Basix line. It's the same Staub grill that sells for $60. It's $34.10. I have the original Staub grill and love it. The ridges are closer too which works better. Great also for a panini sandwich. Just weight the sandwich with something on top, or buy a ridged grill press for about $13.00. Try grilled zuchinni or butternut squash. Yummy!

Here is a link that might be useful: QVC Staub Page

• eandhl
    18 years ago

Hopefully some of you that have LeCruset or Staub grill pan can answer. I have checked on both LeC/450 degree safe oven, Staub/400 degree safe oven use. I would love one to use as described above for fish but the broiler definately gets hotter than 400/450. Did they change the composition of these pans, am I wrong about the temp of broiler or are you using it inspite of what is deemed safe? I am concerned about the safety just to have the nice grill marks.
    Thanks for any information.

• mdmc
    18 years ago

blondelle....so glad to hear you are happy with Staub. I have been wanting to try Le Creuset but they are so expensive. I saw the TSV on QVC and could not believe the difference in price.They have quite a few more pieces and if this line is sells well I am sure they will add more pieces. Can't wait to use it.

• maggie5il
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually I have a Staub dutch oven. I love it. Seems identical to the LC to me.

• mdmc
    18 years ago

maggie5IL.. When I looked at the Staub on QVC it looked very much like LC to me. I come here to post because I like to get feedback from all of you .That has more weight to me than what the salesman has to say. Thanks

• blondelle
    18 years ago

eandhl, I think that heat restriction is more for the knobs on the cookware. On the grill, that particular one has a handle that comes off for oven use, so it should be able to take all the heat you can throw at it. After all, it was fired at over 1,000 degrees when they made it ;-)!

• lupina
    18 years ago

I love my le Creuset, I have had most of the pieces for 30 plus years! I have 3 dutch ovens - 2qt, 5 qt, 7 qt ( I think that is the size of the big one), a 10" saute pan which is also perfect for warming tortillas, 1qt and 2qt saucepans. Two years ago my MIL gave me the everyday brazier pan which is my new workhorse. For most of those 30 years I did not have a dishwasher but now that I do I love that I can wash all the pieces (except the wooden handled saucepans) in the dishwasher. I have many colours in my collection - flame, brown, yellow, blue. That makes it easy when my husband is helping - "please get me the yellow pot Honey." I never bothered getting casseroles since I am a rather casual person and don't mind using the pots as serving pans. I also have Calphalon, but since it has to be washed by hand it is sort of in disfavor.

• demicent
    18 years ago

I finally went out to T.J. Maxx and picked up a 4.5 qt oval French Oven in Flame.

All the ladies in line saw it in my arms and said "oooh, I've had mine for xx number of years and I wouldn't trade it for anything" and even the check out lady gave me the thumbs up and said she loves hers.

It's lovely to cook with. No scorching, even if I don't stir a lot. I love it. I get a good feeling just seeing it sitting there on the counter. Well worth the $80.00

• lightlover
    18 years ago

My son-in-law says that after the world disintegrates, the only things left will be Le Creuset and cockroaches.

• sakismom
    18 years ago

I just bought a 5 1/2 Qt LC at Home Goods, I know it is a second but I couldn't find anything wrong wtih it, how bad do you think the seconds are?
    FYI I bought it because I read all the raves on this forum, my kitchen is still under rennovation and I wont be able to use it for at least another 2 months. If I spot a larger one I will pick that up also.

• blondelle
    18 years ago

Amazon has a one day sale today. The 7 1/4 qt. in red is $118.58 including free shipping. Link is below. Hope someone can use it!

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 1/4 qt. LC oven

• lucyk
    18 years ago

I am not sure what the advantages of LC are. Are they like the old cast iron pots and pans? What makes them worth $100? I love really good cookware, but I am wary about big name items. Please convince me. Thanks!

• sigh
    18 years ago

Lucy,

Well they come in great colors! Seriously I have found that since theyre enamelled they clean up like a dream. And while I love my old cast iron dutch oven for making things like jambalaya I find the LeCreuset perferable when I'm making soups, risottos or put roast type things.

Nina

• steve_o
    18 years ago

Buying Le Creuset gets you a pot or pan which will last the rest of your life and likely that of your children and grandchildren as well. They warrant them for 100 years (though I understand the warranty has become more restrictive in recent years). The enameled insides clean up very easily, even if food is baked on. There's a wide variety of shapes and sizes and colors and some fun pots like their Garden Collection. I've even cooked in other pots and served in the LC just because they look good and they hold heat well.

Is it worth $100? Considering what All-Clad gets for their pots and pans, I think LC is worth that much. Perhaps the best way for you to experience LC is to either find some at steep discount at Amazon or TJMaxx/Marshall's/etc. or to find a LC outlet store -- I hear their sales are amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Creuset

• suzyq3
    18 years ago

Lucy,

The big advantage to enameled cast iron is that you don't have to worry about cooking with acidic foods like tomatoes. So you get the same benefits as cast iron without any restrictions.

I personally much prefer the regular Staub line. I have both the 7 1/4 qt and 5 qt oval dutch ovens. They are gorgeous and do a terrific job of braising. Instead of the phenolic knobs that LC uses, Staub has stainless (or brass on some items) knobs. They look better and can withstand temps up to 600 degrees.

• sakismom
    18 years ago

I just ordered the 13 1/4 qt round oven from Amazon for 239.99 wtih free shipping they only offered certain colors at this price but I figured it was worth it since I haven't seen this size at Home Goods or TJ MAxx. I believe it may be first quality also...
    Take a look

• tlsullivanct
    18 years ago

I agree ... Le Creuset stands up to a beating and looks brand new after a heavy session on the range for hours and you build good muscles too when you mule it around your kitchen!

I need a 5 qt. and I LOVE THIS COLOR and it's so cute! This color is only available in the 5 qt. right now from Staub. I dropped a few hints to DH so maybe Santa will remember.

{{gwi:1471393}}

• Lynne_SJO
    18 years ago

Yes - to those who asked if I meant to say "broiler" rather than grill, for finishing salmon fillet cooked in a Le Creuset grill pan but seared on the cooktop first. I have never worried about the temperature restriction for this pan, since our oven is a convection oven and I believe the broiler get to about 450 and that's all. I also don't put it on the top shelf, but use the 2nd one.

Naturally, we like it cooked well, as all salmon should be. So for a 6-8 oz fillet - depending on thickness - I pre-heat the grill pan on the cooktop (set at 5, which gets it really hot) for 4 minutes; spray with Pam; put in the fillets and sear 1.5-2 min per side (so it is only turned over once), then put in oven under preheated broiler for another 3-4 minutes. When done, I put on pre-heated plates in the bottom oven (set at 200 and used as a warming drawer) to rest until everything else is ready to eat.

PS: prior to searing, I always skin the fillets.

• livvysmom
    18 years ago

Are there any issues with using LC on a smoothtop electric stove? How about the grill pan? I noticed some grill pans out there have ridges on the bottom which would not work on my electric stove.

PS: The only LC I have is a miniture dutch oven that I bought at their outlet store. It sits on my kitchen shelf and is so cute!

• eandhl
    18 years ago

Thanks for the instructions on grill pan and finishing off under broiler. I did contact LeCruset and asked the question. Response was, since it is under the broiler for short time it will not hurt the nonstick surface.

• sunnyco
    18 years ago

FYI~Tuesday Morning has a sale on "Very Famous French Enameled Cast Iron Cookware" that looks like LC to me in the picture! Starts the 8th.

• DParker
    18 years ago

Hi there. I am in the process of upgrading my pots and pans and have a couple of LC questions:
    1. Is the oval skillet the kind of thing I can make breaded chicken cutlets in?
    2. I am deciding btwn the Le Creuset 7.5 quart boullabaisee pot and the All Clad stainless 8 quart stockpot.

THANKS!

• boysmom
    18 years ago

blondelle-
    back in september you posted about the one day sale on amazon for the 7 1/4 oven. where was i then?!? what a deal that was!
    how do you learn of those one-day-sales?

• steve_o
    18 years ago

1. Is the oval skillet the kind of thing I can make breaded chicken cutlets in?

It's not the best tool for the job. On a round burner, an oval pot will have two areas which will be significantly cooler -- not exactly what you want when you're frying. Some of the bigger and "prosumer" ranges, however, have oval burners, and the oval pot will work just fine there.

2. I am deciding btwn the Le Creuset 7.5 quart boullabaisee pot and the All Clad stainless 8 quart stockpot.

You don't say what you'll be doing with these pots. I will observe that 7 quarts of water in LC will take a considerable time to heat up. I can't speak to the "speed" of All-Clad (never having used it). But LC may take more time than you'd like to give it.