Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Recommendations for cookie sheets

marys1000
16 years ago

Maybe a strange question. I left my cookie sheets in another state when I moved. I do not use them a lot but need to replace them.

I had one of the uh "normal" flat with a dark grey non stick coating

and one of the kind with a space inbetween with air.

They did seem to cook different but I can't remember exactly how.

That said

I do not prefer a cakey or doughy type final product, but more a flat or crispier final product (whether its cookies or biscuits or whatever).

Actually I would prefer to grease or spray rather than non stick too. I don't know why, I've just started to get a bit more of an aversion to, I don't know how to describe it, non-simple things. Its not a huge thing, just a preference.

Recommendations from more serious cooks and experienced types?

Comments (18)

• User
    16 years ago

These are my favorites. They are 18" by 13", very heavy and do a wonderful job of baking cookies and cheese danish. I do always use parchment paper under anything I bake. They don't pop and warp in the oven. After I got these, I got rid of all my other ones.

I got mine at Sam's Club, 2 for $11, but I'm sure you can get them other places too.

• marys1000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to distinguish these from others from the picture. Are they a light or med grey? Non-stick? Do you remember a brand name or even colors that were on the paper that wrapped them? I don't have a Sam's Club membership.

• User
    16 years ago

Sorry, these are the ones I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookie sheets

• fairegold
    16 years ago

They are not non-stick, but they are superior to any non-stick pans you will ever have. You might also find them at WalMart for about $7 or $8 each. Also try restaurant supply stores.

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

I'd had one of these non-stick 1/2 sheet pans from Williams Sonoma for a couple months now. So far, I like it a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma 1/2 Sheet Pan

• fairegold
    16 years ago

At that price they should be gold-plated.....

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

Actually, they do look like they're gold plated. LOL!

Yes, compared to other sheet pans they are expensive. In the overall scheme of things, though, $27 is practically nothing. For example, how much is the oven that they go into? :)

• marys1000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not really up on all the ins and outs of cookware.
    Is there also some sort of issue with aluminum? Are those aluminum? Does it not matter for baking? Not overly worried, just wondering. Not sure there would be any alternatives anyway.

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

I second the Sam's Club baking sheets. I use mine for baking and roasting vegetables. I've had them for a couple of years and not only do they work and wear well, but they're resonably priced. I prefer non-stick in cookware and bakeware. The only non-stick cookware I have are two omelet pans. I have much more of an issue with non-stick than I do with aluminum ;o)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I second the heavy gauge aluminum 1/2 sheet pans found at Sam's or a Chef's supply store. They conduct heat well, hold a decent amount of "stuff" scour clean with a Brillo soap pad and can be covered with a sheet of parchment from a roll also available from Sams....or your grocery store. That makes them better than non stick.
    I paid $7 each for mine....and sure have seen them for less. $57 for 2 of the Williams-Sonoma pans?? Oy! And that's why I won't go into that store!
    Linda C

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

That's $56 for 2. ;)

Oddly, if you buy two of the singles for $27 each it totals to $54. :head-scratch:

"Two for a nickel, three for a dime."

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

I cannot recall where I got them, but I have the Vollrath natural aluminum ones and they are great. The link below shows what they look like, although I am unfamiliar with the site. I try not to use aluminum, but I do have some bakeware made from it. Mine do not look pristine and new anymore, although I did try to keep them looking that way for awhile. I decided it wasn't worth the time. I also have a couple that look like Momj's, but I can't remember where I purchased them. Probably a restaurant supply store. They are just fine, also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vollrath

• marys1000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link.
    Which would you consider the best of two "evils" (if you were trying to make the cautious "just in case their right " choice - aluminum or non stick?
    And what is "natural" aluminum?

• fairegold
    16 years ago

I have no idea what "natural" aluminum is, but I'd get the plain aluminum ones over the non-stick ones any day. You can always use parchment paper or a silpat sheet to create a non-stick surface, but the plain aluminum half sheet pans are the most versatile things in the world. Unless you do a LOT of just cookies, in which case, you might want to get the sideless true cookie sheets.

But the ones with the sides (technically "jelly roll pans") are great for everything else as well as cookies, like toasting nuts, etc.

And get a few of them. At the cheap price, get 4 or 5.

• marys1000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess I'd try parchment paper or just grease/butter. I can't get with silpat.
    Putting my food on plastic that gets really hot over and over just seems like asking for chemical trouble.

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

Silpats and Exopats are silicone, NOT plastic, and they are inert.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki entry...

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

By "natural," I meant regular, plain aluminum, as opposed to coated in ceramic or Teflon or that dark stuff or anodized. I believe tha's what the website calls it. I tried some dark ones and the cookies were too "crisp" (read burned) on the bottom. I stay away from Teflon, perhaps an irrational bias, but the stuff bugs me. I do appreciate being able to slide the cookies off the side.

• sunnyco
    16 years ago

I use the sam's club ones with parchment paper.

I hate those air-pans, with the space between the bottom layers to keep things from burning. I prefer the bottoms of my cookies to be browned a little more than the tops, and I constantly was under cooking things on those.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz