Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Electric Induction Kettles Exist?

Posted by johnjohngw (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 0:15

I started looking for kettles for boiling water, considered the stovetop models, remembered that I prefer the Zojirushi electric dispensers, then started wondering whether there was something equivalent which used induction technology instead of a ceramic element...

No google results, so I was wondering whether anyone here knew of anything...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Don't know of any, but

I swear by my electric kettle. Any number of brands will do just fine: Russell Hobbs (my first), Krups, Dualit, etc. If you're lucky enough to live in the UK, the 240v models heat even faster than the puny ones we have to deal with.

I actually have an induction portable burner and love it. But I know that the induction rice cookers are still very costly, for instance. I suspect that an induction kettle would also be pretty expensive at this point.

In the meantime, the electric kettles are relatively inexpensive, fast, and best of all, they turn off when they're done so there's no melting of your teakettle on the stove burner (not that I've ever done that :-) )

I'm absolutely spoiled after 5 years or so with mine. I like them better than the installed InstaHots at the sink (which burn out after a number of years and are far more expensive to replace than an electric kettle).

Good luck, though. I'd be interested in any such animal exists.

o
RE: Do Electric Induction Kettles Exist?

I think they'd be outrageously expensive, considering an electric kettle can be had for $10 or $20.

o
RE: Do Electric Induction Kettles Exist?

My main question has to do with the cost of boiling water. I bought my mother a Zojirushi model which boils then maintains water at just under the boiling point. But, she still boils water on the stovetop because "gas is cheaper than electricity," then pours that water into the kettle to maintain the temp. I have no idea whether the cost thing is true or even whether we're talking anything significant over the course of a year, but that's what she does. And the whole reason for getting the "kettle" (Zojirushi's look more like an air-pot) was to free up the spot that the traditional kettle monopolizes on the stovetop. Infuriating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zojirushi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here