Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
all-clad vs henckels??

Posted by victoriajane (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 23:24

Re: stainless steel tri-ply, I'm noticing in my research that many of the so-called "tri-ply" or "multi-ply" cookware sets are multi-clad on the bottom only versus all the way up the sides, the latter being better for cooking in terms of even heat distribution. I know All-clad is fully clad, and I've just discovered the classic clad line from Henckels which is significantly cheaper. As they are both fully clad, is there anything that makes the All-Clad superior? I'm leaning toward Henckels at the moment. Also, are there any other fully (bottom to rim) multi-clad cookware brands I should be researching? Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: all-clad vs henckels??

We have a variety of cookware, including AC. We do have one Henckels, a 5-quart saute pan, and find it of comparable quality to the AC. It is fully clad. It's an extremely good value. I think Amazon has that pan for $99, free shipping.

o

Thanks for the response suzyq3. I just ordered the 5 quart casserole/saute pan from Amazon for $69.99 with free shipping! Of all the cookware I need at the moment, this is the one I need most, or at least will get the most use out of. I'm really looking forward to it; I'm sure I'll love it. Re: additional Henckels cookware, I sure would like to "test drive" those handles in person but there is not a dealer nearby so it will have to be a leap of faith if I decide to go that route. Also I've read that the multiple rivets on the Henckels handles are a pain to clean, so we'll see. I sampled All-Clad this week and decided it is not for me (had a problem with the handles.)

o

Keep an eye out at your local TJMaxx as well. Lately, I've picked up several pieces of the KitchenAid 5ply fully clad as well at very reasonable prices. The KitchenAid 5 ply also has 3 rivets on it's handles.

Hope that helps as well.

o

I hate the handles on Henckels, and there are rumors of leaks near the rivets. Check out Cuisinart Multiclad Pro and Cuisinox. (Both at Amazon) Both are fully clad, not only bottoms, and handles are riveted too. The Cuisinart is a very good deal. IMHO Cuisinart Pro pans are almost as good as AC (slightly worse shape but better handles), pots are better (all pots have pouring lips, some of my AC pots do not). Cuisinox is excellent but is getting close to A/C in price. One nice thing about Henckels, Cuisinart, Cuisinox, Le Creuset, Mauviel, etc, is that they are all metric sized, so the covers are interchangeable and most cookware is in 3 basic sizes: 20 cm ~ 8in, 24cm ~ 9.5 in, and 28cm ~ 11in. Some of the AC pans I have do not match anything else (10.5 in?).

-- CF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here