Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter_a71

All-clad copper core 6 quart saute pan

peter-a
15 years ago

Greetings, enthusiastic cookware people.

I've enjoyed reading the cookware discussions (thank you for so much useful information!) and have finally decided to upgrade my collection of nefarius and nasty cheap pots and pans. We have many mouths to feed, and the All-clad 6 quart saute pan looks like a wonderful monster of a pan. Question: would I notice any difference between the stainless steel sautier and the copper-core stainless steel sautier?

Comments (8)

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

"Question: would I notice any difference between the stainless steel sautier and the copper-core stainless steel sautier?"

Probably not. From this site (important for you to read all of it):

Copper with an Interior and Exterior Lining of Stainless Steel
    - Otherwise similar to Copper with an Interior Lining of Stainless Steel, but the copper is fully clad in stainless steel.
    - Due to manufacturing considerations, the copper layer in fully clad cookware is often significantly thinner than the copper layer on comparable interior-lined cookware. This can negatively impact both evenness of heat and heat capacity.[...]

Aluminum with an Interior and Exterior Lining of Stainless Steel
    - This design, with an interior thermal layer completely surrounded by other metals on the inside and the outside is often called âÂÂfully clad.âÂÂ
    - Otherwise similar to Aluminum with an Interior Lining of Stainless Steel, with the addition of an exterior layer of stainless steel.
    - Due to manufacturing considerations, the aluminum layer in fully clad cookware is often significantly thinner than the aluminum layer on comparable interior-lined cookware. This can negatively impact both evenness of heat and heat capacity.[...]

If you read through the entire article and the accompanying FAQ, you'll see the author prefers All-Clad's MC2 line (aluminum exterior/s.s. interior) over everything else in their range.

And if you go that route, you'll find much cheaper brands of aluminum exterior/s.s. interior cookware in commercial restaurant supply stores.

Others will weigh in, I'm sure...

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Two things come to my mind. Copper is heavy. Pick up both pans and see if there is substantial weight difference. Second I believe only the Stainless All Clad is DW safe if that is an issue for you. I have the the 3 1/2 qt SS AC saute and love it.

• peter-a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your comments. That egullet forum reference makes wonderful reading about cookware materials and fabrication options.

I've decided to go with the All-Clad stainless-aluminium-stainless option, since the copper sandwich is much more expensive yet appears to offer little extra benefit.

Bought my first sauce-pan (3.5 quart) and am delighted so far. It cooks evenly, without scorching! It cleans up with just a pre-soak then a gentle wipe! I have ordered the 3-quart saute pan next, and expect it to arrive next week. I'm just itching to play with it. If I like this one, then I'll order the big 6-quart saute pan.

This journey of upgrading our cookware is great fun! I'd just like to express appreciation for all the knowledgable contributors in this forum.

• solarpowered
    15 years ago

You might want to take a look at the Demeyere Atlantis line, as well. You may find that you like those even better than the All Clad! (They don't have a 6 qt. saute pan, though--4.2 qt. (11") is the biggest saute pan in that line.)

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

FWIW, I have converted to almost exclusively Copper Core (except for cast iron stuff which can never be replaced ever and a few other things) and find it absolutely fabulous. It disburses heat VERY evenly, and cooks better and more evenly than anythng I have used to date.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

peter-a, enjoy your new cookware pieces.

• sleepyhollow
    15 years ago

For real copper cookware that achieves the benefits of copper you should look at Falk Culinaire. For those cooking situations that demand copper cookware (ie thermal response), think sauce making and confections, the All Clad will not measure up. Once you go Falk you never go back!

Here is a link that might be useful: Falk Culinaire

• peter-a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello sleepyhollow:
    Those are indeed lovely pans at Falk, but Oh Boy! are they ever expensive! I'll continue to collect my All Clad stainless saucepans, at a third of the price. I quite like All-Clad cookware; it warms up very evenly, and food doesn't stick as much as it did to my nasty cheap pots. The handles are not comfortable though: too small in section. But I will always wonder whether the copper-core would have been dramatically better.