Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlie2003_gw

Pepper Mill with an adjustable grind

charlie2003
17 years ago

Can anybody recommend a good pepper mill with an adjustable grind from fine to coarse?

I was looking at the Uniform Magnum Plus Pepper mill and also, the Peaugeot line. Are there any particular ones in the Peaugeot line that are good? Under $50. I was looking at the Peaugeot Pepper Mill and the Peaugeot Fidji?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

charlie2003

Comments (11)

• cookwaresnob1
    17 years ago

Peugeot make excellent grinders. I have also have had very good luck with William Bounds grinders. If you find either under $50, it is a pretty good deal.

• dogboy
    17 years ago

Hey charlie, I bought the 8.25" Fidji pepper mill last year and like it alot. My Old Thompson mill has a very course grind so I bought the Peugeot for a finer grind. The only thing I don't like is the one top adjusting screw, if you should want a courser grind the head will bobble a bit from being a little loose. But for a fine to medium grind it's great.

• jono123
    17 years ago

Uniform Magnum Plus is a good one. It is easy to fill and grinds well. There's a smaller version that costs less that has the same grinding mechanism. I went with the bigger one because I felt it was slightly more comfortable to use.

I cannot comment on any Peugeots since I have not used them.

Cook's Illustrated likes the Magnum and they have yet to steer me wrong on any of their recommendations.

• azzalea
    17 years ago

Harbor Freight (I know--odd place to buy a pepper mill) has a fantastic one. It's about $20, one of those tall, heavy brass ones. You can adjust the grind, and it has a cap that fits over the bottom, so the pepper doesn't drift out onto your table when the mill's not in use (as some can do). I have a number of pepper mills, but this one is definitely my favorite. I've seen the exact same peppermill in department stores for $80!

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

We went through lots of salt and pepper grinders that drove us nuts, and finally just bought pre-filled ones at Costco (Kirland) that have sea salt and telicherry peppercorns and adjustable grinding mechanisms.

They've been less of a hassle than any other mills and were approx. $3 each.

• krustytopp
    17 years ago

I have the Peugeot Nancy, a small, clear-acrylic mill. It is OK but the cap falls off easily while I'm adjusting the grind.

About those pre-filled grinders mcgillicuddy mentions: there are ones with delicious mixtures such as curry, lemon pepper and pie spices. It's kind of fun to grind your seasonings at the table and not have to worry about buying 20 different whole spices :)

• sburkhart
    17 years ago

The Pampered Chef has one for $17. I love it. It is a one hand grinder (you squeeze it) and a dial to adjust the grind. There is also a place for salt too.

Stacey

• Melic
    17 years ago

also comes in a larger size: Magnum Plus

A blizzard of pepper with each grind.

The link is to the maker's home page. Prices may vary elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unicorn Peppermills

• Marigene
    17 years ago

I have several of these and love them. I have a couple for pepper, one for salt and one for spices, mainly cardamom seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable vase grinders

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Margene, How timely to see your endorsement. I just bought the Kuhn Rikon Vase Grinder yesterday at Marshall's for $8. Odd, the white one was $8, the red was $16.

• Marigene
    17 years ago

I think I would have gotten the white one at that price, too! I think the last one I got was $16, cobalt. I got a black one from Finally in the last swap and the other two are the apple green.