Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tubular Potholder??

Posted by cciaffone (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 18:27

I do a LOT of cooking both with old cast iron skillets
and with newer Calphalon pans, all with nekked
metal handles that can get really, really HOT.

I have one (countem 1) old, antique, vintage tubular
pot holder. By which I mean, it fits nicely over the handle
of most metal-handled pans and is made of pot holder
material. It's open at one end so it slides on the
handle, but closed at the other end so it does not expose
the end of the handle to the heel of my hand.

My problem? Where can I find/buy/steal more of these??

Or, can you point me to a pattern and to pot holder
material.

many thanks

chuck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tubular Potholder??

I've seen these at Bed Bath and Beyond, go to their website and search for "hot handle"
Happy searching and shopping!
Dreama

o

If you can sew or know someone who can, all you need to do is get some inexpensive quilted potholders, fold one edge over to the other edge and sew the long edges and one short edge, leaving the other short edge open to slip over the handle.

Don't bother sewing then trying to turn it inside out. Just sew up the edges as directed above.

Teresa

o

I got some a couple of years ago at the Chef's warehouse sale.

I am pretty sure the Chef's online catalog will have them too.

They would be real handy if I could find them when I needed them. I need to sew little hanging loops on them,, I guess.

o

I just came accross this while looking for a trash can. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: hot handle

o

Thanx to all. After you gave me the name "Hot Handle,"
I was able to look in some stores. I found the lodge
version at World market cheap. While not as nicely
made as my antique, these look like they might do
the job.

but I will search out some quilted fabric to make some
better Hot Handles.

thanks again

o

Beware. All of the qilted fabric I have seen at the fabric stores is filled with polyester fiber-fill. You would NOT not want to use that for picking up a hot pan. :)

o

I use removable silicone pot handle covers on some of my older pans. I've never tried them on an old fashioned cast-iron skillet, but they do fit -- and work -- on my other non-stay-cool metal handles. Better, I think, or at least safer, than a fabric tubular potholder. They also claim to be oven safe. I have many brands; they're cheap, and I got them all from restaurant supply stores. Here's a representative sample from Instawares - I don't have this brand, but there are many, many brands to choose from. Do a search at Instawares for "silicone pan handle."

Here is a link that might be useful: Medium Black Silicone Pan Handle.

o

I'd like to try those silicon handle holders. I ordered my standard ones from Amazon, made by Lodge, and they work, but when i left one all the way on while cooking, the end touching the pan caught fire!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here