Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

rice paper wrapper trays

leaveswave
15 years ago

Used for making your own spring rolls at the table. This is such a fun thing to do! Anyway, they are round, plastic "plates" of mesh, and come a dozen in a package. I need more as all my family and friends want some and my local source has dried up. I have a pic, but don't think I can post it on this forum.

I've tried other local asian grocery stores and am now hoping to find some online that I can order.

Comments (11)

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

Any Southeast Asian market that has Vietnamese or Thai food should have these in several different sizes.

• ntt_hou
    15 years ago

These are fun to wrap and eat, don't they?

Try any international food market for rice paper (bánh tráng in Vietnamese). Here in Houston, we have a Fiesta and they carry them in the Asian isle.

The package you'd find in asian markets would have more than just a dozen. They also come in squares which sometimes are easier to wrap.

Below are some links where you can order online.

http://importfood.com/nrga1222.html

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Roll-Wrapper-Rice-Paper/dp/B0000CNU2W

http://www.efooddepot.com/products/Miss_Saipan/3878/Extra_Thin_Rice_Paper.html#product

Have fun eating!

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think you misunderstood me. I am not looking for rice paper WRAPPERS, I am looking for the TRAYS that are used to hold a single wrapper once it's been wet down and before one rolls them.

Below is a picture of what I'm talking about. I want exactly this style, though other colors are acceptable.

I am looking for an ONLINE source. I have gone to all the local asian groceries I can find and no one is carrying these or willing to order them for me.

For those who haven't seen these before... You put a rice paper wrapper on each tray. The tray has small bumps on the bottom around the edge to make it sit up slightly from the tray beneath it. Then you wet down a bunch of wrappers at once. Then set a stack of several trays on a plate, bring them to the table with all the other fixin's and everyone gets to make their own special spring rolls with their favorite ingredients!

I know this is a little esoteric compared to the usual topics here, yet I'm hopeful someone will be able to point me in the right direction to an online, retail vendor. Thanks in advance for any leads!

Here is a link that might be useful: rice paper wrapper TRAYS

• ntt_hou
    15 years ago

Ah yes, my mom tried them out at one time but she is no longer using them. I find that the plastic trays are still a bit sticky. Wooden plates or foam plates seem to work better.

In Houston, you can find them in Hong Kong market. I've no idea where online. I'm wondering if you can contact with the store below and see if they will ship it to you:

Hong Kong Food Market Bellaire
    Address: 11205 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77072
    Phone: (281) 575-7886

However, if you can't find them, have you tried to use the bamboo sushi mats? I'm thinking that those would work well too.

Here's another tip: I normally wet each with warm water and only on 1 side before stacking them up. They peel out easier without breaking. I also use waxed paper in between if the batch of rice paper happens to be too thin.

Good Luck!

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hoping more people are checking in here as summer starts winding down, and maybe someone will have seen an online source. (crossed fingers)

• ntt_hou
    15 years ago

Although, I've been busy, I haven't given up looking for them for you.

I'm trying with different names because I'm not sure that's what it's called.

In a couple of weeks, once the devastation from hurricane Ike had calmed down, I will go down to Hong Kong supermarket and see what is its actual name for this type of trays.

Will keep looking. If you do find it, please post it too so I can stop searching for you.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a deal!...and thank you!!

• ntt_hou
    15 years ago

So far...

I found this type of tray at the link below. The price may be a bit more but it should work the same as what you have. Actually, it may even work better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round tray

• ntt_hou
    15 years ago

... comes in square.

Here is a link that might be useful: Square tray

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, those are beautiful! I almost wish I hadn't committed to the ones I got, but for me they strike the right mood. Plus the price was right at around $8 per dozen. About 4 per person seems to be a good number to have, and I'd like to be able to have a party of 6-8. It's so fun to create your own springroll and eat it, then slide the empty tray to the bottom of the stack and do it again, maybe this time with different ingredients! And no sticking together at all. So, I kinda need to find trays that match the ones I already have.

• ntt_hou
    15 years ago

I sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you didn't received it.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths