Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crazy for cast iron!

Posted by klseiverd (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 15:46

Was reunited with cast iron a few years ago when I found 3 different size "name" skillets for almost nothing at a yard sale. Totally grungy with someone elses "season". Tooke several applications of oven cleaner to clean them up & then well reseasoned. Once nice and black, I think CI is even better than non-stick for many foods.

Have been adding to my collection ever since. 2 burner grill/griddle, Dutch oven, large round griddle, etc. Found a Le Crueset grill pan for $5 in a thrift store... blue enamel exterior in perfect condition and needed only minor clean-up before using... cost about $100 new.

Now have to restrain myself and only consider stuff I don't already have. Found a neat little diamond shaped Lodge skillet, marked "one egg" on the bottom. Couldn't pass on cornbread sticks pan. Latest acquisition was an Aebleskiver pan... $2.99 at GW but tag color made it HALF price!

Would love to find a BIG DEEP skillet... for shallow frying. WOuld also like to find pop-over/muffin/loaf pan(s).

Think there are MANY people who are missing out on great cookware just cuz it's heavy and does get really hot. But it's pretty much indestructible and versatile.

This is only my second post so wanna ask a slightly OT question. Other than the obvious, are there ceertain words/phrases that are totally no no?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crazy for cast iron!

danab_zn7_la got me hooked through this forum. It's all his fault! That old cast iron is wonderful stuff. Somebody in the appliance forum posted pictures of the kitchen at Elvis' Graceland. Look what's on the cooktop!

o

Oh, what a flash back... My parents built a house in 1960 and we had that exact cooktop! We used the griddle a LOT.

o

I'm also crazy for cast iron... I've been told that I'm obsessed, but I can't think of a better thing to be obsessed with!

I started a blog a couple of months ago, with reviews on different cast iron pieces I find on the internet as well as what I cook in my cast iron from day to day.

http://ramblingsoncastiron.blogspot.com

o

Greenturtle, do you know what brand of cast iron has an IQ stamp on the bottom?

o

Just bought my first used Griswold skillets. Thanks to awm and danab...Well I had some French cast iron ovens but never the naked stuff.

o

I only have one ''naked'' cast iron skillet, a flea market ''made in Taiwan'' piece, that I use all the time. I like being able to get the pan very hot and have it maintain that heat after the food is placed inside. I also like the easy cleanup - stick the hot pan under hot running water, wipe it with a brush, dry on the burner, wipe with some oil. No soap or scrubbing.

I also have four enameled Le Creuset pieces, bought for pocket change at a yard sale, that are great.

The ''cheap and effective'' aspect of these pieces really appeals to me. I never seem to find All-Clad stainless or French copper cookware for $5 . . .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here