Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie123456_gw

Hard-anodized cookware without non-stick coating or infusion

Katie123456
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me why hard-anodized has become synonymous with nonstick? Why has plain old hard-anodized waned in popularity?

I'm not a fan of nonstick, and, IMO, hard-anodized is the best material for cookware. It's not as pretty as stainless, but it's much easier to cook with. It doesn't sear as well as cast iron, but it's lighter, non-reactive, and it heats more evenly.

The only non-nonstick option I'm aware of for hard-anodized cookware is Calphalon Commercial. It's not widely available. In fact, I wouldn't have known you could still get it, if I hadn't found it on this forum.

So what happend? Ten years ago, the primary choices for high-end cookware were stainless, hard-anodized and infused-anodized. Why did regular hard-anodized drop off that list?

Comments (10)

• Farbuncle
    10 years ago

I agree with every thing you say about how good hard-anodized cook ware preforms and its a real joy to use.

However, I am a big, big fan of non-stick. Todays top quality cookware with non-stick is so easy to clean. I just wipe them down. I remember the days of Brillo pads and elbow grease after the Sunday roast. Never again.

• angiepangie
    10 years ago

we got rid of all non stick cookware when we read the reports of harmful fumes at high temps. never, ever get your non stick cookware hot enough to smoke oil or brown meat.

• Farbuncle
    10 years ago

Something like 90% of all aluminum pots and pans sold are non-stick. I don't think anyone stopped loving hard-anodized. They just started loving the ease of cleaning that non-stick provides.

• lucylou8
    2 years ago

Katie, did you ever find hard annodized aluminum cookware without the coating? i have not, and i do NOT like the coating.

• HU-818827980
    2 years ago

I have brand new in box "Calphalon Professional Hard-Anodized 11 Piece Set" that was in my mom's garage for about 10 years. It does NOT have the non-stick coating, and selling the set for $160.

If interested email me at reid@devadamedia.com

• Judi
    2 years ago

What a treasure!

• temp mail
    last year

Hawkins Cookers India sell hard anodized aluminium cookware without non-stick coating.

• HU-641243874
    6 months ago

I have two Calfalon hard anodized pans that I bought 15-20 years ago as a promotional at Bed Bath & Beyond. The interiors do not have a coating. They can be scrubbed with Comet and an abrasive. When I saw that they no longer sell them, I wondered whether there was a safety issue. Anyone know? They are my favs but I'm starting to wonder if they are safe to use.

• fillmoe
    6 months ago

Back in the last century (yikes!) I used to demonstrate cookware including Calphalon Professional and Magnalite. I still have many of the original pieces and use them regularly. Most look almost as good as new because they were created to last, even when cleaned with stainless steel scrub pads. The pieces are very heavy and probably became too expensive to produce.

Eventually, we may have to give up our gas stoves and go to induction where the aluminum won't work. Then what?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21