Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oil for spritzer

Posted by appletreasure (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 13:19

I have an oil spritzer fom pampered chef. I have tried reg canola oil and olive oil but they both seem to gum up and the spritzer doesn't spray.

Has anyone else had experience with these spritzers? How do you clean them?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oil for spritzer

In theory you clean them by filling the container with very hot water and spraying it through.

I've had experience with both plastic and metal versions of these sprayers, and they all clog up and become impossible to use. And once they clog, there doesn't seem to be any way to clear the stoppage.

So, unless you want to clean it after every use (yeah, right) I would recommend against them.

o

The reason your spritzer is gumming up is because the oil you are using is polymerizing. Polymerized oil cannot be removed by soap or detergent. The trick is to not let the oil polymerize. The way you do that is to keep the oil in the bottle only for a short while (maximum of a few days). Keeping the oil refrigerated will slow down the polymerization (gumming) reaction.

I usually place a small amount of oil in mine when I use it. I wash with soap and water afterwards and have never had a problem. Soap/detergent will easily wash away the oil from the spray nozzle.........if you wait too long to clean it and it polymerizes....you can only remove the gum mechanically or alternately with a hazardous solvent which I will not name.

You might consider using some of the spray bottles they sell at the dollar store.....they're cheap.

Dan

o

OK thanks, I will be able to chuck it with a clear concious now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here