Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Manicotti Tray?

Posted by gorilla_x (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 9:00

I currently use a Mario Batali (porcelain enamel over cast-iron) lanagna tray. It's 13 x 9 x 3. Had two layers of manicotti, and still had more room for a thrid layer.

Problem is, the lowest layer flattend a little bit, as to be expected. Not a lot. So then I began to wonder if it'll be better to use a large sheet for 1 single layer.

Any ideas?

-G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Manicotti Tray?

I'd rather use a couple of large pyrex glass baking dishes. For the price of that Mario number, you can buy a bunch of Pyrex baking dishes!

o

Thanks fairegold... but I had the Batali pan mainly for lasanga already, and tried it for manicotti. I suppose I could try several pyrex casserole trays, and single layer the manicotti.

-G

o

Hmmmmmm? I've never even thought of making manicotti in more than one layer. On the face of it, I would think that top layers would crush bottom layers. And proportionately, doesn't it take far too much sauce?

o

gardenlad,

My parents and relatives always did 2 layers... probably because we are a big family and oven space was limited. Don't know it more sauce is needed with 2 layers.

-G

o

If I had one of those Batali cast iron porcelain baking dishes, I wouldn't care if the bottom layer of manicotti was a little flat!
Never had a single layer manacotti....
I would think 2 layers would need less sauce....but is more sauce a BAD thing?
I love that Mario Batali pan! Gave one to my son and his wife! Maybe should have kept it....
Linda C

o

I've been planning on making manicotti for tonight's (Sunday) dinner for a week now, and did not want to double stack them... still did not buy a manicotti tray before today.

So today I went to Target and picked up two 9 x 13 stoneware lasanga trays (over 3" deep) for $12.99 each... it's the Bialetti brand. They look very nice (similar color as my Batali espresso lasanga pan), and I am guessing that they'll perform well too.

I had an assortment of pyrex/corningware on hand, but preferred two identical trays (in terms of material). I figure for $26 total, they're a good deal.

And at 3"+ deep, they are suitable for lasanga... so while I love my Batali pan, I am wondering if the $80 cost was worth it... oh well!

-G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here