Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oven safe saute pan-what can I use if I don't have one?

Posted by beanwabr (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 8:56

I am hoping there is something else I can use. I found a recipe I'd like to try (olive oil baked shrimp) but wanted to see if there's an alternative, as I'd really not like not having to purchase one at this time. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oven safe saute pan-what can I use if I don't have one?

Use any oven-safe pan for the oven part of the recipe. Use whatever fry pan you have for the stove-top part of it. You will just be washing two pans.

o

Thanks sushipup! This is the recipe; I'm wondering if I could just use one of my glass oven-proof dishes for this ... does it matter about the cookwear type? Thanks!

2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tbsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp chopped parsley
14 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup white wine

Preheat oven to 375. Combine all ingredients in an over-safe saute pan and bake for 10 minutes.

o

No need for a saute pan at all in that recipe; I have no idea why they called for that. I do something very similar entirely on the stove top in a fry pan. Probably cut way back on the olive oil, maybe to 1/4 cup at most, just enough to coat the mixture. Also too much salt. Use about 1/2 tsp and then adjust to taste after the dish cooks. I will also use a can of good quality chopped tomatoes if tomatoes are not in season/cheap/good. Sounds yummy. We like it with pasta, and I'll add chopped canned (in water) artichoke hearts, too. Since it's in the oven, you might also add a layer of panko crumbs on the top.

Your glass baking dish will be fine.

o

About any stainless steel cookware will work for this recipe. Shorter sides will help keep the heat even so, a skillet or fry pan would be better then a saucepot. Pyrex baking dishes would be good too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here