Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchenaid K45SS � Major Restoration � SOS!

Posted by JackHuntsville (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 3:12

I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping somebody out there can help.

The good: a friend gave me an old Kitchenaid K45SS he found in a shed on his Mom's property.

The bad: The shed had been infested with bees, whose honey attraced roaches, who then proceeded to colonize the motor/housing of the mixer. :(

About the mixer: The motor still runs but makes a 'funny smell', probably due to crud built up on the brush/motor.

My question: Has anyone out there ever cleaned such a mess up before? Any advice? Is this involved a cleaning even possible? Is it beyond saving? I'd like to clean the heck out of this thing and make it work again. It was made back when Hobart still owned Kitchenaid and I'd hate to just throw it away. My time and labor are no issue. Aside from the filth, it's in pretty good mechanical order from what I've seen..

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchenaid K45SS � Major Restoration � SOS!

Definately clean it up. Many, many Hobart built KA mixers are still around and running well. Enjoy the process you will have a great machine once done.

o
RE: Kitchenaid K45SS � Major Restoration � SOS!

If you're mechanically inclined and have a few tools, pretty sure you can google and print out DETAILED instructions on how to refurbish a KA stand mixer.

I snoozed and lost on a great deal at a thrift store... and have been kicking myself ever since. There was a restaurant model (don't know model number) for something like $20. Big, crank-up bowl, whisk/paddle/hood. I lugged it to an outlet and quickly turned off/on. Was getting ready to haul it to check-out when another shopper tapped me on the shoulder to tell me it only ran for about 3-4 seconds and then would stop?? The VERY brief time I ran the thing, heard nothing strange, but sure enough... it cut off after 5 seconds max. And no strange sound when it did quit. I decided to pass on it. Once home got thinking... maybe only a little $$ to fix and according to KA website, it cost something like $400 new. Of course, when I went back... POOF! It was gone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here