Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you mean by saying to make sure pans are 'flat' on bottom

Posted by mickeyluvr (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 21:35

I know that sounds dumb, but aren't all pots and pans flat on the bottom? I know a warped pan would not be, but if you are buying new pans, they should all be flat, right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you mean by saying to make sure pans are 'flat' on bo

One would think, but no. I have bought brand new pans that were slightly warped on the bottom. On a ceramic top stove, the pans have to be absolutly flat to get even heating.
Laying a heavy ruler across the bottom will help you see if the pan is flat or not.
Once, I bought a new stock pot and could not get a rolling boil because of the bottom not being flat.
And, as expected, more expensive heavy brands do tend to be flat while cheap pots and pans tend not to be.

o

it's not just warping, some pans are made with indentations and ridges. (Most stove-top grill pans are REALLY ridged). The advice that came with our stove said take a metal straight edge (ruler) and place the one edge across the outside bottom... if you see daylight under the edge of the ruler, it's will not make full contact.

o

Plenty of thin pots and pans are not flat on the bottom, and if you put them on a flat cooking surface you'll find that they wobble. And the thinner they are, the more likely they are to warp and dent.

I got some Revereware and Farberware 30+ years ago as wedding gifts. I used them for 30 years on my cheap electric ranges with not much problem. When I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago, I found that the Revereware pots fell off my new gas cooktop grates. The Farberware did better, it has a heavier bottom, but I ended up having to get a lot of new pots and pans with heavy, flat bottoms.

o

If you are especially unlucky you may even find yourself with a pot that is perfectly flat when cold and goes wobble when heated. When you read about some of the exotic manufacturing methods used, it is really amazing that a flat bottom pot is even possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here