Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajmorrow_gw

Recommendations for pans, starting from scratch!

ajmorrow
17 years ago

Alright, on the 15th i will be moving out of my parents house for good, it is time for me to be living on my own, in the real world

now, I would love to buy cookware as i am planning on cooking alot, i enjoy cooking, and have the fortune of a 24hour loblaws being just down the street.

but after spending literally, all my free time looking at sets, going to housewear stores, big box stores, and browsing ebay and the internet, reading reviews and reading this forum, i am totally swamped with brands, pots, pans, and everything under the cookware rainbow

now, i know this is a total copout, cut me some slack :)

I would love some recommendations on brands, and/or even what type of pots and pans i should be buying

I know im young and a student, but i make good money, and im willing to spend a reasonable amount on the good stuff

now, ive thought about it, and what i feel i need is:

a small (8"?) non stick frying pan

a larger (10"? 12"?) non stick frying pan (terminology might be off?)

a medium sized sauce pan

a large pot (boiling pasta)

now, brands ive heard/read about

t-fal: reviews seem to be good

wolfgang puck: very good bargain stainless

cuisinart: read some reviews that some sets are the best the reviewers ever used

all-clad: one of the best, seem to be extremely expensive

calphalon: another one of the best, very expensive

now, i dont want every colour, every metal, every surface under the rainbow, i would like some consistancy, and really, aesthetics are important to me and my girlfriend. We are young, and students, supporting our selves, but there is no need for us to run to value village for this stuff

I would prefer nonstick frying pans, and then stainless pots/saucepans for the ease of cleaning/being rough with them

anyways, i appreciate any advice that you can give me, and wish me luck on moving out :)

Alex

Comments (37)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Just to get personal bias out of the way, I don't care for non-stick cookware. Never have.

Anodized is a bit better. But in my case I don't want to replace all my utensils. So I stick to cast iron and stainless.

Were it me, I would _not_ buy one of those sets, anymore than I would consider a set of knives. No set contains exactly what _you_ need for your cooking style, budget, and consistent pot/pan needs.

So I would first make a list of what you think you need. And start by buying just those, getting the best you can afford. I would rather see you buy just one item now, that is top drawer, then to buy two that are mediocre. It's amazing what you can do with a limited number of cookware items if you have to.

All that being said, if I were starting from scratch, here's what I would get as a minimum:

(2) 8" skillets.
    (1) 10" skillet.
    (1) 12" skillet.
    (1 each) one quart, 1 1/2 quart, 2 quart saucepans.
    (1) 3 or 4 quart saucier; saute; or chef's pan---depends on brand as to what it's called.

Don't forget lids for the pots.

(1) Pasta cooker, with double inserts.

(1) Wok.

(1) Stockpot.

(1) Roasting pan with insert.

Then, if you're really going to be ambitious, I would add in an omelet pan for sure, and a couple more chef's pans of various sizes.

Also, bakeware is another whole category. If you intend baking, pay some attention to that as well.

As to brands, I wouldn't presume to make recommendations. I have several brands, choosing my items based on percieved quality and design.

However, I do not understand the facination folks on this forum seem to have with All-Clad. The one piece made by them I've bought had some serious flaws, and their customer service people refuse to address the issue.

I have _no_ use for a company that doesn't stand behind it's products. I don't care how popular it may be.

• davebean
    17 years ago

I like Gardenlad's recommendations. However, if I'm reading it right, there are 4 skillets...wow.

My recommendation is to take a look at what you cook and build your collection around that. If you do a lot of pasta, a stockpot with a pasta insert should be a high priority. If you love pancakes every weekend, get an electric griddle.

As for brands and material, I'd go for multi-ply stainless in general with a cast iron skillet thrown in for variety. Go to Marshalls/TJMaxx if you want really good quality and want to acquire your collection in specific pieces.

Dave Bean

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Yeah, Dave, you're reading correctly: 4 skillets. Why are you in awe of that? Four are just the basics.

I tried to make the same point you did; that the way to proceed is to build the cookware around one's personal cooking style. Otherwise you wind up with a bunch of--to you--useless, or little used, pots and pans that just clutter up the place.

Bakeware is even worse, in that regard. It's incredibly easy to build a very large collection of things you never use.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Go for the best---All-Clad. You will have those for the rest of your life. They are also induction capable of which there are more and more options on he market now. Dillards.com has the 2 & 3 qt. saucepans, the 3 qt. saute (a must) and the 10" skillet for 1/2 off right now in stainless. You can add other pieces from cookwarenmore.com that sells AC seconds with small cosmetic defects later on. You might also want to check ebay for great prices and AC sets.

Get the best and over a lifetime it will cost very little. You will never have to replace them, and you will have a lifetime of great cooking! Add an enameled Dutch oven of two from Le Creuset and you're set, or get the Mario Batali 6 qt. oven Saw it at Amazon for $62.99 not too long ago. Keep watching their sales! It's a great, heavy well made pot in pretty enameled cast iron.

I would just get one 8" or 10" nonstick for eggs and such. If you have a Dillards nearby you can get the Calphalon 10" international griddle for $8.74 now. Top notch pan!!! Makes a great egg pan!

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Go for the best---All-Clad. You will have those for the rest of your life. They are also induction capable of which there are more and more options on he market now. Dillards.com has the 2 & 3 qt. saucepans, the 3 qt. saute (a must) and the 10" skillet for 1/2 off right now in stainless. You can add other pieces from cookwarenmore.com that sells AC seconds with small cosmetic defects later on. You might also want to check ebay for great prices and AC sets.

Get the best and over a lifetime it will cost very little. You will never have to replace them, and you will have a lifetime of great cooking! Add an enameled Dutch oven of two from Le Creuset and you're set, or get the Mario Batali 6 qt. oven Saw it at Amazon for $62.99 not too long ago. Keep watching their sales! It's a great, heavy well made pot in pretty enameled cast iron.

I would just get one 8" or 10" nonstick for eggs and such. If you have a Dillards nearby you can get the Calphalon 10" international griddle for $8.74 now. Top notch pan!!! Makes a great egg pan!

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Blondelle, would you _please_ explain what it is that supposedly makes All-Clad "the best."

Like I said, the one piece I bought had serious flaws, and the company won't even acknowledge my complaint, let alone adddress it.

To me, customer service of that level would classify the company as the worst. Given how overpriced they are to begin with, I'm really trying to understand why everyone at this forum is so impressed with the company and its products.

• herb_mania
    17 years ago

My humble advice, get some stainless steel, with the sandwiched bottom, (for even heat distribution.) You can bang them around a little, and don't have to worry about a roommate stirring somthing with a fork.
    If you have stuck on, grime on, put some soapy water in it, and let it soak for a day. Then wash it. Simple.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Don't buy a set!...
    I am a veteran of a lot of years of cooking....read that I am no spring chicken!
    I would get 2 non stick skillets...one small "2 eggs" size and a larger one9 or 10 inch for when you have company.
    And I would get a heavy pan ( I like Le Cruset) that will be a shallow pan for top of the stove and that will alos go into the oven. I like the Le C. oval bakers....they make a nice casserole or will roast a small chicken or beef roast and allow you to brown it on the stove top and then pop it into the oven.
    You need a couple of 1 1/2 and 2 or 3 qt sauce pans....for small amounts of soup or veggies or boiling potatoes.....and a large stock pot.
    I would look for clad bottom stainless with a good lid for these.....
    And for a splurge, a Le Cruset Dutch oven...it will do for soups, spaghetti sauces, chili and other long cooking things.
    Than add a cookie sheet and a muffin tin, a loaf pan and you are set for a while.
    But....all kines of cook ware are not best for all things.
    I like Meyer Professional for the non stick skillets. For the sauce pans....brand doesn't really matter....there are a lot of good inexpensive pans out there.
    Linda C

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Gardenlad, read the hundreds of All-Clad RAVE reviews on Amazon from people who have bought and use this cookware. They will explain to you why All-Clad is considered the best!

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

That only explains that people follow the trends. I wonder how would all those rave reviewers feel if there was a problem that All-Clad wouldn't address?

The fact that a manufactured item has a flaw is never a problem for me. The issue is, what happens after the problem occurs. That's the test of a class company. Far as I'm concerned, All-Clad has class, alright---about third grade.

Nobody will ever convince me that it's worth buying a product from a company that doesn't stand behind it.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

i'd suggest 2 non stick skillets...cheapo is fine, because as far as I'm concerned, they will only last so long b4 they are scratched and replaced.

A 10 in iron skillet is nice for frying potatoes, if you like that sort of thing.

I'd suggest a minimum of 3 stainless steel saucepans of various sizes.

Stock pots (stainless steel in 4,6, and 8 quart sizes...for making big pots of soup,etc.

A slow cooker is nice too, for an occasional slow cooked meal.

I also have an electric fry pan, that I occasionally use to fry fish or chicken at the picnic table.

There is a lot of good used cookware available at yard sales, and thrift shops. I pick up extras when I see them for 25 cents to a dollar, and then when a youngun moves out, I can provide them with a lot of good basics.

No need to go broke getting what you will need.

Also, my Corelle dinnerware lasted over 30 years of daily use b4 I finally stored it, and bought a new pattern. Corelle lasts forever!

Sue

• bryansda
    17 years ago

When my daughter was setting up her first appartment I asked what kind of cookware she wanted. I loved her answer, she told me to go for the cheap stuff, because she was going to ruin it learning to cook....LOL. And she did too. He hubby ruined the second set using too high heat for everything (his theory is the higher the heat the faster things cook). I got her a third and final set at a Revereware/Corning outlet for Christmas. I told her this is it for me, any new pots and pans are on her from now on.

• velodoug
    17 years ago

I'd start with two really good pieces - a 2 qt All-Clad MC2 saucepan and a 10.25" Le Creuset skillet - and a couple of very inexpensive ones - an 8" nonstick skillet and an 8 qt stainless stock pot. They would give you some experience with different materials and help you make an informed choice as you find you want to add pieces.

• ziporion
    17 years ago

Check your All-Clad to see if you have an "S" somewhere on it (maybe the handle or bottom?)... if so, that means it's a second, and as such All-Clad doesn't stand by the product.

I have mostly All-Clad and a few others, and I really love them! A pan used for oatmeal only needs a quick soak and it cleans up easily and quickly. Even my DH (who wasn't all that happy about the cost of the pans) loves them.

I'd start small, unless you can afford a set (see Ebay). But I agree the best thing to do is to buy quality, because if taken care of, they will last forever.

Good luck with the search.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

There is no S, ziporion. I bought it as first run, and certainly paid for first run.

The point is, All-Clad wouldn't know if that was the problem or not, because they do not answer my emails. Been more than a month, now, since I first contacted, them with no response.

As I've said before, I don't get overly upset when a product has manufacturing flaws. But I do get upset when there is no customer service worth a hoot.

That's the issue. Not that there's something wrong with the pan, but that All-Clad won't address the problem.

Far as I'm concerned the company is worthless, and I'll continue to express that view at every opportunity.

• deanb
    17 years ago

Gardenlad, try the All-Clad customer service # (1-800-255-2523), I'm sure you'll have better luck. I've been using All-Clad for over 25 years and had 3 warranty issues. All were promptly addressed by All-Clad and resolved quite satisfactorily. I have a rather large collection of cookware which includes All-Clad, Calphalon, Calphalon One, Sitram Cybernox, etc. My experience has been that All-Clad and Calphalon both have excellent customer service and even bend their warranty in favor of the customer. The top tier All-Clad and Calphalon cookware is truly quality stuff made in the U.S. by people who make a decent wage and have benefits; hence the price.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

All-Clad stands behind their products whether they are seconds or first quality. The warranty is the same for both!

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Couldn't tell from where I sit, Blondelle. Based on my experience the so-called warranty is useless, being as All-Clad has been ignoring my complaint.

Thanks for the number, Dean. But the question is, why should I have to keep trying to follow up. I have never had a situation like this, where the company involved just doesn't respond.

So, those of you who are happy with All-Clad, good luck to you. I'll just have to content myself with the Calphalon, and Henckels, and even WearEver pieces that have not given me trouble.

And the set that I'm about to purchase as a wedding present will certainly not be All-Clad.

• eandhl
    17 years ago

gardenlad, would you be willing to share what the flaws are on your pan that ALL Clad is avoiding? I agree they should be addressing your issues and there is no excuse for poor service. I have a 4 All Clad SS pans that I love. I have not had any problems so I have never had to deal with service.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Sure thing.

After using it just once, the entire inside bottom became strangely stained and discolored, with copper colored and white patches. Very powdering looking. The visual effect is as if the bottom had peeled; although that is not the case. If you run your fingers over it it remains smooth and polished feeling. But it looks very unsightly and unappetizing.

Meanwhile, the copper band on the outside bottom is also stained, this time with blackish patches that refuse to clean up.

I have never seen, nor heard, of this condition before. Don't even know if it's safe to use the pan or not.

Either way, it's something that All-Clad has been made aware of, and refuses to address one way or the other.

To reiterate: The test of a good company is what happens when it's products turn bad. In my experience, All-Clad fails the test.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Get yourself a can of Bar Keepers Friend powder cleaner and use both on the stainless and copper band. That's what All-Clad recommends to clean their cookware. What you have is heat staining. It will clean it right up. It's worse the first few uses, but will lessen. It will happen though any time from too much heat, but it's easily removed. All-Clad doesn't require the same amount of heat for cooking as other cookware. Call AC instead next time. They are extremely nice and very helpful. They just get overloaded with e-mail at times.

I understand your frustration, but this is mentioned on their site. There's no need to bad mouth the company for issues they have already addressed in a FAQ. That should have been your first place to look to resolve your problem.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

First off, I'm beginning to wonder, as aggressively as you're defending them, how much stock you own in All-Clad.

Let's take your points in order:

Not that the pan was used over high heat, but heat staining of stainless steel produces either blue or brown discolerations; a far cry from what I have. Copper tarnishes. And when it does so, it usually does it more or less evenly. I have black, tar-like blotches, which are not tarnish.

Second, if a customer service group is so overwhelmed that it cannot reply in more than a month that indicates there are some real problems. Why else are they so overwhelmed? I'm sure it's not from folks contacting them to say, "Thanks. Swell job you're doing."

The most overwhelming time for any customer service organization is during a major product recall. And even then all I had to wait was three days for a response to my questions.

I did read the FAQ, several times thank you very much. And my issue is not addressed. Which you would know if you bothered to read the description of my problem instead of just assuming I was at fault.

• potpie
    17 years ago

I know that you might be feeling a little tweaked that the lovers of All Clad are not joining you in the corner of the haters of All Clad. From reading here, and other resources on the web, there is one thing that really comes through clearly about All Clad, and that is the fact that the All Clad pots and pans are a bi-polar product. There are those who swear by it and will take all their pots and pans to heaven with them, and then there are those who'd be willing to step close to he-ll to throw all their All Clad pots and pan into an eternal abyss of he-ll's fire and let Satan deal with all the issues, (and in this case, also the customer service department).

I looked at All Clad and decided that the price of their products are too high considering the bi-polar nature of those who own them already and have left comments about them.

So, I called All Clad's customer service number that was given in this site to research the products more closely from All Clad themselves. Well, I thought I had personally stepped into he-ll myself. It was a long computer voice menu that sent me NOWHERE but to a bottle of gin when I got off the telephone because I was totally unsuccessful in even getting a human to respond. All I got was the voice prompts from the computer generated system.

So, I checked All Clad off my list.

My current pots and pans were a mish-mash of Revere Ware, Le Crueset, and a few odd pieces I picked up at the various TJ Maxx, Home Goods, and stores like that.

But, I wanted a whole set that MATCHED. I wanted stainless steel.

So, I bought the Kirkland ones at Costco. All Clad, due to this site's reaction, due to their high prices, and due to their ridiculous customer service computer generated prompts, I felt totally righteous in bidding them a hasty good bye!

When I was at Costco the other night, there was another couple who we know of, we're not friends or neighbors, they're just some people we met through an organizaton we belong to. They were in the same isle looking at something across from the Kirkland Stainless Steel. These people can afford to do whatever they like or want, and when they saw us looking at the Stainless Steel, they said hello to us, and we made small talk and then he said, "Are you going to be buying this Stainless Steel set?" and we said, "Yes, we think it might be the biggest bang for the buck". And he went on and on about how much he loved them, his wife added in her thoughts about them and she only made comments about how they excellent and she was also supportive about buying them.

I bought them. They aren't out of the box yet and I will wait until my birthday and act surprised when my husband gives them to me at the big family barbeque. But, I am confident that I made a good purchase, and even more confident that I would have wasted my money on All Clad.

• justme_2006
    17 years ago

Potpie ~ when is your b'day? I will watch for your opine on the Costco set. I'm in the market for cookware for my Nephew and his bride. I've always wanted ScanPan.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

>I know that you might be feeling a little tweaked that the lovers of All Clad are not joining.....Not at all, Potpie. I was, and still am, trying to figure out what all the shouting is about. As you discovered, the stuff is incredibly overpriced for what you are getting. And the customer service is, apparently, non-existent. They don't answer emails (poor babies are overwhelmed by communications from all those satisfied customers, I guess) and you can't get an actual person with a pulse when you call the customer service number.

I'm sure there is some degree of snobbery involved in the issue. After all, All-Clad is the "in" company among food trendies, so we're all supposed to stand in line for it. But the fact is, I've been much more satisfied with my WearEVer, at about 25% of the cost. It does the job it's supposed to do, and looks exactly the way it did when I bought it.

Meanwhile, being as nobody will address the problem, and I don't know if the pan is safe to use, I've just going to deep-six the d**m thing. And despite Blondelle's injuntion, I will continue to bad mouth All-Clad at every opportunity.

An expensive lesson for sure.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

You know what gardenlad, if All-Clad could read your posts, I don't think they would want you to have their cookware either. I addressed your problem, and All-Clad addressed your problem on their site. Stick with WearEver as it's more your speed. You're acting like a two year old, raving and ranting because they won't answer your e-mail. It probably was as idiotic and offensive as your posts here, and I don't blame them one bit. Get over it!!!

• potpie
    17 years ago

I always use April 15th as my birthday for the internet, but the truth is that my birthday is in the first two weeks of July and my husband's is this week.

Historically, we've celebrated both our birthdays at the same time, around the third or fourth week of July. This year, our family is having a sort of reunion over the week of the Fourth of July, so everyone who has a summer birthday is being honored. That means both my husband and myself and about 15 other relatives of all ages will be blowing out candles!

I couldn't wait and didn't want to open them up over the fourth, I wanted to USE them, so I already opened the box and washed them. They look so nice and feel so good in my hand.

Mine are not made in Italy, but Thailand. I am very happy with the purchase so far.

• eandhl
    17 years ago

gardenlad, I am sorry you have an unresolved problem with your pan. You stated, "I've just going to deep-six the d**m thing", if by this you really mean throw it out, perhaps you could describe the piece and I bet you would have offers from people that do use All Clad. One thing you never mentioned is if you did try the above tip, "Barkeepers friend". I used to have revere copper bottom pans that aged pretty much evenly as you said but I have noticed that on my Cuisinart the copper sandwich disc does at time get a small area of black tar like spots, I have used barkeepers and it usually takes care of the spot or if not it eventually goes away. (I do put my SS cookware in the DW.

• User
    17 years ago

ajmorrow - I would look for stainless with a thick sandwiched bottom so it won't warp. If you want non-stick, cast iron is the only thing that will really last. I'm also a fan of enamelled steel (Chantal) because it cleans up so easily, particulary for pots.

• potpie
    17 years ago

I have some Chantal I picked-up at Tuesday Morning for a really good price. The stuff is great! Not as heavy as LeCrueset, but in the same caliber of quality I think. Some of the LeCrueset's are so heavy and cumbersome, I tend to use something else if it will get the job done. But, there is NOTHING better for slow oven roasting than a heavy LeCrueset. Nothing.

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

I've used the old Revereware since I got married 28 years ago - until DH bought me a SET of All Clad for Christmas. I actually think the set was a good idea as it did include exactly the type of pans I would want and was a better value than purchasing individually. He got a recommendation for what to buy and where from a friend of ours who happens to be a great cook and a kitchen designer as well. He got them online at Metro Kitchens.

The set included: 10" Nonstick Fry Pan, 2 qt. Sauce Pan with Lid, 3 qt. Sauce Pan with Lid, 3 qt. Saute Pan with Lid, 6 qt. Stock Pot with Lid. I like having a non-stick pan for eggs. I notice the biggest difference with the All Clad with things I make in the saute pan and the small sauce pan. Boiling corn on the cob or steaming vegetables is no different in All Clad than it was in Revereware so the difference with the other pans hasn't been as noticeable yet. However I've only had them for six months so lots of YEARS ahead to truly take advantage of them.

However on the other hand I got along just fine for 28 years with the much less expensive Revereware. So in my opinion there's no need to purchase All Clad the first time you buy cookware. Though I'm not sure you'd get them as a wedding gift - one pan may be out of the wedding gift price range of alot of people.

• ajmorrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have started buying things individually as i missed out on a great 8 piece anolon advanced clad set for about 150 bucks. I just didnt have the cash at the moment

but from the same seller, my first piece of nice cookware is a beautiful 10 inch anolon advanced clad skillet

stainless steel, it cleans up so well with a quick scrub and cooks extremely well! so far ive cooked up eggs and a hot salami and cheese sanwhich and both came out very well. The eggs were perfect
    cant beat a 7 dollar clad skillet!

{{gwi:1470893}}

and now, my next purchase will be a le crueset enamaled 8 inch skillet, and then after that, 2 and 3 qt all clad sauce pans

• weedly
    17 years ago

Another thing to check out, for the skillets at least, is Sam's club. The Sam's club in my town has Tramontina (Brazilian) restaurant non-stick skillets for less than 30 bucks.

They also have nice aluminium sauciers for less than 20. They are industrial quality, and are very nice.

As far as the All-Clad problem, I've got a couple pieces of All-Clad, and they are excellent. Bar Keeper's Friend is the answer to gardenlad's problem, I doubt he'll ever try it, though.

I use Bar Keeper's Friend on my Le Crueset Dutch oven, nothing else could ever get it clean again, Friend did a wonderful job. I also use it on my boat, cars, etc...

Bar Keeper's Friend contains Oxalic acid, it is not an abrasive. It is the same substance sawmills use to turn wood's color, for that reason Oxalic acid is known as "wood bleach". For this reason, you can use Bar Keeper's Friend on cookware without gouging it, even though the product looks like a can of Borax or Comet.

Give the old BKF a try there, gardenlad. I think you'll be surprised at what it will take off your pan. I use it every day.

• chris_brie
    17 years ago

All Clad makes some nice and sturdy cookware no doubt. My preference though has always been for Calphalon and Cast Iron (for pancakes and certain other dishes...I don't really FRY anything and can't stand fried chicken). The one piece of A/C I own is one I strictly use for pasta as I bought it when I couldn't find a Calphalon pot of the correct size locally and I needed it fast for surprise guests.

Whichever you decide to buy I'd recommend NOT purchasing sets, opting for individual pieces of quality over a set of lower quality. I'd go with Calphalon but if you find some A/C at a decent price you won't go wrong with that either. (although I have to concur with one of the other posters that All Clads customer service leaves a lot to be desired...and NO this wasn't a second..it was a full-blown, expensive first. :) )

If all else fails, get cast iron and keep it seasoned to prevent it from rusting.

• ajmorrow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I picked up a couple calphalon and so far i am pretty impressed, i happened to find them at a homesense, a tjmaxx/marshalls home store equivolent

• pijak
    17 years ago

I recommend Sitram. They are a quality cookware maker that hardly advertised, thus lower price. You can get a really bargain set here.
    http://www.smartbargains.com/go.sb?s=SE&deptId=54&catId=141&prodId=3010276611&sp=All+Products%2f%2f%2f%2fUserSearch%3dsitram%7c%7c%7c%7c%7c&pagename=prod
    or e-bay search for Sitram
    The catering line, the best from this maker, also avaiable from Amazon.com.
    Also Costco carry a few lines of them to business customer, only on website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sitram set

• arley_gw
    17 years ago

Analyze what you want to cook and let that guide you. Don't get too hung up on matching sets.

Nonstick: consider Scanpan

Pasta pot: Sam's had a great Tramontina set for about $30

Consider a pressure cooker--yes, a pressure cooker. Read up on them; Kuhn Rikon and Fagor are good.

Buy at least one enameled cast iron dutch oven (or, as the Le Creuset folks call it, a french oven). You can brown meats and then add liquid, finishing the dish in the oven

and if you like seared meat, nothing in the world beats good old cast iron.

Read the article in the link; it will help you decide what sorts of pots and pans make sense, and it will help you sort through marketing bs.

Here is a link that might be useful: understanding stovetop cookware

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio