Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valerie_emmerich

What's up with my breadbox?

Valerie Emmerich
9 years ago

So. . .I was getting tired of the bags of bagels, challah, etc., cluttering up the countertop so I went out and bought a large stainless steel breadbox. Great! It matched my appliances! No more cluttered countertops!

But then I started to notice something weird: bread was starting to get moldy - actually, sooner than it would if it were on the countertops. I placed stuff in zip-loc bags, which I then learned is a bad thing to do because moisture is trapped inside, leading to mold. (But I kept the same breads in the same zip-loc bags when they were out on the countertops - ?) I started to leave the breadbox open so it wouldn't be so dark inside, and I wrapped the various breads, bagels, etc loosely in waxed paper. Too soon to see if this helps.

What's the deal with breadboxes? How should I keep bread in there so it doesn't get moldy so soon? I thought the whole point of a breadbox was to keep bread fresher longer. . .apparently I was mistaken. Any advice would be appreciated - just threw out 3 moldy bagels this morning. Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES