Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New gas stove--boy the handles get hot!!

Posted by love2weed (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 20:07

We recently switched from electric to gas. The first thing I noticed is how the handles on my pans get very hot. Any recommendations for a cookware that truly has cool handles while cooking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New gas stove--boy the handles get hot!!

If the handles are getting hotter than they did with your electric stove, the first thing to try is moving the pot to a smaller burner and/or turning down the heat a bit. They're getting hot because the flame is extending out from under the pot. All that does is heat the handles and the air in your kitchen. It doesn't do anything to cook the food faster.

Once you've exhausted that approach, let us know what kind of pans you're using now and perhaps we can offer further advice.

o

The flames are not extending from the bottom. The set I have is a cheapie. I am leaning towards the Member's Mark set from Sam's. Anybody have and do the handles get hot!

o

wolfgang Puck's nonstick which I bought for eggs, has very hot handles.

o

I have the Sam's Club/Member's Mark cookware. It is the tri-ply clad, purchased for under $130.00 for the 11 piece set. I have a gas stove and the handles do not get hot. I absolutely love this set and have posted my "findings" regarding comparisons on another thread ;o) Bottom line is:
The handles are more comfortable in feel than the All Clad (sorry folks!). Someone mentioned that they thought the handles on the All Clad were attached "upside down", and after reading that I had to laugh because it definitely did feel that way when handling them.
The construction is the same except for the rivets (the rivets on the Sam's are aluminum encased in SS vs. all SS...not a biggie).
Performs the same with the same results in a "side by side" cooking comparison, using a friends All Clad.
I certainly don't mean to offend All Clad aficionados, but I'd rather spend the $350.00+ difference on or towards something else.

o

I also have the Member's Mark set from Sam's Club and also have a Calphalon set. If you use a burner that is too large, both sets will get hot handles. You can buy handle covers. I have expensive Calphalon covers for that set and they are hard to get on and off. I also have some cheapie ones that work just fine on both sets.

o

I spent 19 years cooking on electric. When I converted recently to gas, I was reminded of how hot the handles can get. Now I am in the habit of:

1. Leaving the pot slightly off center, with the handle 'off' the flames.
2. Using a side towel for any pan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here