Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mark on Plate

Posted by lbains (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 17:51

I used my new square white plates last night for a dinner party. I put them in the dishwasher last night and noticed today when I took them out one of the plates has a brown mark about the size of a hair on it. I tried scrubbing it but nothing would remove it. It really ruins the effect of the stark plain white plate. Does anyone have any ideas how this mark could have gotten on the plate and how to remove it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mark on Plate

Try ZUD--if the mark is from your flatware or even rust, it should remove it. Just use a little on a wet sponge and rub it over the mark. FWIW I've only done that with the powdered version, not sure if the liquid/cream version would have the same mildly abrasive quality that removes the marks....

o

Thanks. I'll look for that. I was wondering if it could have been a scratch from the flatware. I hope this new dinnerware isn't so delicate that it will leave marks whenever the flatware makes contact with it. The dinnerware came from Macy's and seems to be pretty durable.

o

I went to look for "Zud" today and couldn't find it. I suppose I'll have to order it. Is it gentle enough to use on china without the abrasiveness scratching it?

o

Sometimes you can find ZUD in the hardware store.

o

Bon Ami or even Barkeepers friend will do the same thing....the Bon Ami is just ag entle abrasive, while Barkeepers Friend is a reducing agent like Zud.
Linda C

o

Thanks, I had a can of Bartender's Friend so I tried it. It removed the brownish color of the mark but when the light hits the plate in the right direction the scratch mark can still be seen. Would this have been caused by a knife scratching and removing the glaze on the plate and if so is there anything that can be done short of never serving anything that requires a knife so this won't happen again? Also would the Barkeeper's Friend possibly add more scratches? I just hate to see my new dinnerware get marred up after only one use and think what it might look like after a year of use. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=235582&CategoryID=30841

o

I got my most recent can of ZUD powder at a local hardware store. I'm pretty sure I'd read or heard somewhere that BKF is similar to ZUD (active ingredient), just a weaker/lower % (or something like that).

I've used ZUD on my dishes and it hasn't seemed to harm them in any way. I do know that the faint silvery/grey marks on plates and in the bottom of coffee cups are metal marks left behind by utensils, but I don't think they are actual scratches in the glaze, rather I've always felt that they are marks ON the surface.

o

Off topic, but I'll mention that the title "Mark on Plate" struck me as very odd when I saw it just after thinking about the old short story, "To Serve Man."

o

solarpowered--rotflmao!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here