Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurenjay_gw

dishes

laurenjay
17 years ago

I am looking for plain white everyday dishes that wear well. The dishes at Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel scratch easily and the enamel wears away within about a year.

Comments (7)

• bryansda
    17 years ago

How about Corelle? I've had my plain white Corelle dishes for at least 30 years. I've used them everyday and they still look new.

• velodoug
    17 years ago

We have some Buffalo China that has held up very well. We ordered ours from a local restaurant supply place but CHEFS and Williams-Sonoma sell it too.

• fivemeows
    17 years ago

Pflatzgraff. These are some of the best quality dishes I have ever owned.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Think about weight of the dishes you buy also. Pfaltzgraff is pretty heavy, in my opinion. The restaurant quality is very durable but also heavy. Corelle is thin and light and wears forever, but can shatter in many little pieces if dropped on a hard surface.

If you don't mind heavyweight, I would go with the restaurant-style brands. I passed on my set to my DS#2 and all the mugs, pasta bowls, custard cups, etc. were bought at different times and from different sources, but they all went together because they were white, heavy restaurant china.

• bryansda
    17 years ago

teresa is right when she says Corelle shatters in a million little pieces IF you break a piece. I have broken one piece in 30 yrs and you can bet it's not the only piece that I have dropped. It all depends on if you want a light weight china or heavy stoneware type. If I wanted a heavier stoneware the resturant china is a great idea, but for a lighter, Corelle is great too. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

• canvir
    17 years ago

Highly recommend Pfaltzgraff. They have a three year warranty and I am proof they honor it.

I purchased Pfaltzgraff dishes 2 years ago and was not happy with the "gray" marks on the dishes. Pfaltzgraff sent several dishes for me to try and then replaced all my dishes with the one I chose.

One dish they sent was Providence which is white and it does not get gray marks from utensils.

My experience in the last 10 years is that Corelle and other brands will get the marks but it seems some manufacturers are glazing differently now and this is getting to be less of a problem.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I bought my son and his wife Mikasae very day china. It's lighter than pfattzgraf and very nearly as sturdy as Corelle....but has more "substance" than corelle....which seems a little too lightweight to me. This stuff is nice enough for a dinner party. I bought it at a Mikasa outlet and got a dozen plates for just under $50.
    I have a set of Christmas dishes in that same every day china and I love them. No marks!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Mikasa

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH