Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fibrament Baking Stone?

Posted by ktool (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 15:06

Has anyone used a Fibrament baking stone? I am told it is basically just cement, and I am wondering how it compares to a ceramic baking stone. I like the fact that I can order it custom sized to fit my oven, but isn't ceramic better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fibrament Baking Stone?

I'd like to know more about Fibrament Baking Stones too, but their web site prompts at least as many questions as it answers. For example:

Q: What is the composition of FibraMent?

A: FibraMent is made from a proprietary blend of heat resistant and conductive raw materials approved by NSF International for use in baking ovens. (If you really need to know the ingredients you have to buy the company.)

Are they really worried that someone will set up shop in competition with them, or are they worried that people might not buy if they knew what the stone was made of?

Q: When I baked my last Pizza some sauce and cheese spilled onto the stone. How should I clean it?

A: Take a dry rag and wipe off as much of the residue as you can. Use a rubber spatula to remove any stubborn spills. Be careful not to damage the surface of the stone.

It sounds like the surface is pretty fragile. I regularly scrape the surface of our baking stone from King Arthur Flour with a stiff putty knife and there is no sign of damage.

o
RE: Fibrament Baking Stone?

I have a large stone from King Arthur that sits in my oven, gets stained and I wonder why it is even there. When I take it out, I don't see any difference in the cooking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here