Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black residue on new stainless steel cookware

Posted by polecrab (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 14:40

I just bought a Kirkland Signature 13-piece stainless steel cookware set. I thoroughly cleaned the pieces twice with lots of Dawn dishwashing liquid and dried them. However, afterwards I wiped one of the inside surfaces with a clean paper towel and the paper was stained black with some kind of residue. Does anyone know if this is a defect and I should return the set or if this normal for brand new SS cookware and I just need to clean it with stronger stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black residue on new stainless steel cookware

That residue likely came from the "polishing" procedure used to manufacture your cookware. Give it a cleaning with Bar Keeper's Friend to remove it.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

o

The black residue is a very small amount of chromium rust which when it forms a thin coating on stainless steel gives it the brilliant shine. The same effect can be seen much more clearly when cleaning a stainless steel sink using the various cleaners made for the purpose. It can be minimized in cookware by using a suitable cleaner to shine things up once in a while but it has no real concerns otherwise.

o

IMO that residue IS NOT chromium oxide....and what you call "chromium rust". The protective chromium oxide layer on stainless steel is PASSIVE (not active) and does not come off readily with just a paper towel wipe. What does come off readily it that "other stuff" which clings to the stainless. Bar Keeper's Friend will clean that black residue right up........even if it were active chromium oxide....which it is not. BKF is nothing more than oxalic acid which is a very good chelating agent. In layman's terms....that means it cleans the HECK out of metal cookware. It is especially good at chelating active iron rust. It is very good for cleaning stains (often iron rust) and hardness residue (calcium and magnesium carbonates) off porcelain. For cleaning soapy scums and hard water films in tubs, showers, and sinks in the bathroom.....it is hard to beat Comet Bathroom Cleaner. Citric acid is the chemical in this product that does the cleaning.

Every kitchen should have a can of BKF because it chemically cleans so well. It does an excellent job of SAFELY cleaning cast aluminum pot/pans where that residue/discoloration often is active aluminum oxide. Same goes for Dawn Power Dissolver.....great for cleaning baked on grease. All three are wonderful time saving cleaning agents......that actually work!!

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

o

If you have granite, marble, or any natural stone countertop, be careful and avoid getting Bar Keeper's Friend on the natural stone. If it does, wipe it off asap. The acid from BKF can damage the natural stone.

o

Here's an update. Even Bar Keeper's Friend didn't get all of the black residue off, so I returned the set and bought a Tramontina Triply set instead. What do you know, the Tramontina has the black residue also, although not quite as much as the Kirkland. Bar Keeper's Friend got like 95% of the residue off the Tramontina, but if you rub a wet rubber glove across the inside brushed surface, you can still see a little bit of residue coming off. So that makes me wonder if this stuff is on every new stainless steel cookware and I'm just being overly picky and clean freaky about this. If there's anyone out there who just bought a brand new piece of stainless steel cookware, can you test this out by wiping the inside brushed surface (going with the grain and pressing hard) with a paper towel or wet rubber glove and checking to see if any black or residue comes off?

o

Quality stainless steel cookware is 18/8 or 18/10, silicon/nickel ratios. Some knock-offs from other countries is labeled as 18/0.. Do not know what the /0 means..no nickel?? could be a bunch of metals thrown in to reduce the cost of the product and use up scrap..... Anyway...18/8 or 10 should not have any oxide on the surface.... Check the utensil to see if the nickel content is stamped on it...

o

I am having a similar problem with my new stainless steel sink. After washing it several times with dishwashing liquid I still get a black residue when I rub it with a soft cloth. I haven't tried BKF but will get some tomorrow. I am concerned about contaminating any food I put in the sink.

o

Better off buying carbon steel or cast iron and enameled cast iron anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here