Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dccnm

Best cookware for induction?

dccnm
19 years ago

After LIVING on the kitchen site for the last few months, I've decided to go with an induction cooktop (AEG). Now I'll need to buy new pots/pans. I currently use my 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, and 5 quart pots the most. I have a nonstick frying pan for eggs, and a very large calphalon that I love but honestly only use for a few dishes. The other loved, but not often used pot is 12 quarts (great for large portions of pasta and potatoes). I'd miss that.

So, without taking out a second mortgage, what pots/pans would be the best for me? My research suggests that the Demeyere Apollo might fit the bill but I decided to ask the people who aare using them, not selling them!

TIA

Comments (120)

• westsider40
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

and guess when nikkibu first registered? oh same day as the post.

No, nikki, if it works on induction, it works quickly. That's the nature of induction.

Re cast iron--- cast iron responds to temp changes slowly. So cast iron will take a bit of time to change from boil to simmer, and so forth. Even tho the induction cooker will change very quickly, a cast iron pot will be slow to change, hotter or cooler, because cast iron retains heat more than stainless steel, or copper, or most other pot materials. nikki, if you had induction, and cast iron among other pots, you would have known this easily.

• CuteLily
    11 years ago

It's so nice to see your post, I appreciate it very much!

• pmailkeey
    11 years ago

Re the use of paper on the hob - it's something I decided to do from the outset. While splashes is one thing (mine's next to the sink - so could get splashed from there) the other thing about putting paper on the top - it'll help protect the glass from scratches.

I've also discovered the hob works with the pan lifted about half an inch off the hob - so if you have pans that haven't got totally flat bottoms, I wouldn't worry.

I got the cooker 2 days ago and pans yesterday - including a pressure cooker - which cuts down heating time for additional savings.

• rxlikestodecorate
    11 years ago

I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I have an IKEA induction cooktop & have to say I love it. If you don't have an induction cooktop & are considering one, check out IKEA. It's made by whirlpool & has a 5 year warranty. It definitely rivals the expensive brands in features at in most cases half the price. I paid $999 for mine less 20% for purchasing 3 appliances at once. I purchased a few of their pans too. The rest I've purchased at TJ, Home Goods & Kohls. I just carry my magnet. I have a buffet/hodge podge of pots & pans (IKEA, All Clad, Emeril, etc.) & honestly still don't have a favorite. I do like the glass lid with the escaping steam hole. My IKEA has just a stainless lid with the escaping steam hole.

OK, now my question: I'm in the market for a 12 qt stock pot. I'm getting tired of using one of my old (smaller stock pots) inside my large induction fry pan. Anything that splashes over gets cooked on the fry pan & is a bear to clean out. I cook a lot & can be very messy. I'm looking at buying the Johnson-Rose INDUCTION STOCK POT, CROWN SELECT, 12 QT., 11" DIA. X 7-1/8" D, W/O COVER, HEAVY DUTY 18-10 STAINLESS STEEL W/1.0 GAUGE ALUMINUM SANDWICH BOTTOM (ALUMINUM PAD/MAGNETIZED S/S DISC) for $48.61. I don't know anything about this brand, but the price sounds good. Does anyone know anything about this brand?

Also, I never thought of using newspaper on my stove while cooking. What a great idea. I'm sure the parchment would be OK, just a little leery about using newspaper. Do you just spread it over the entire cooktop, then place the pot/pan on top & cook away. This will certainly save some clean up time (if I can remember to do it). Thanks everyone for all the good posts. Great ideas everyone.

• pmailkeey
    11 years ago

I just placed baking parchment in two sections as its not wide enough to cover it in one go. I'd like to find some thin heat-resistant sillicone rubber mats - like the material used for bakeware. Unfortunately, one can lose sight of the heating zones - so transparent material would allow the location marks to show through - also, the power level indicator is on the top of the hob as well.

The covering idea was mainly to protect the hob from scratching rather than making easy-clean. Ideally, I'd like something like place-setting mats - better size for the dishwasher!

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Has anyone tried Paderno's induction cookware? Would you recommend it?

• rxlikestodecorate
    11 years ago

Hi dccnm, I got my Induction Cooktop this year (March, 2012) & absolutely love it. My old cookware was from the 70's, so even though it still worked, felt I'd at least gotten my money's worth from it. I've purchased all different brands of cookware from all different stores, i.e., IKEA, Kohls, Home Goods, TJ Maxx. They all work well. One thing I've found is that with the heavier stainless cookware, I have more even heat & the cookware has been easy to clean. My recommendation to you is to buy the sizes you like. Carry your magnet with you (I have a magnet on my purse closure & use that). If the botttom of the pan sticks well to the magnet, then it will work for you. The sizes and everything else is a matter of preference. I don't use the non-stick skillets because I choose not to eat the coating. Hope this helps. P.S. Did I mention that I love, love my induction cooktop? I really like the on/off feature, the ability to simmer, just everything is better. I have the IKEA induction cooktop which is made by whirlpool & has a 5 year warranty. It's also a whole lot cheaper than the rest of the induction cooktops. Good luck.

• davidmp
    11 years ago

Just getting a new Bosch Induction and thought my collection of 2005 All Clad copper core would work but they won�t! Contacted All Clad and they have changed the copper core line to be induction capable in the past few years. I am so disappointed I paid allot of money for the copper core and we won�t be able to use it! I wanted to mention this because I went to the All Clad website first and it list the copper core as being induction ready but no mention that it has only been so three years or so. Be aware and bring a magnet to double check.
    Trying to pick up only the pieces I need now. I will not spend the same amount I spent on the All Clad again. They are very heavy and my wife will not use them. I am looking at the ARCHETUN
    11.5" Open Fry pan for a non stick fry pan. I could only find it for sale here: http://www.heritagemint.com/Z58012.html
    Also looking at the Anolon Cookware Set, 11 Piece Nouvelle Copper. I am still looking for reviews for this product line. From this review of a Fry Pan shoot out: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/804287 it looks like copper core would be the way to go.
    Thoughts? Thanks

• Bree2
    11 years ago

I am very happy with my Paderno "Classic II" Induction-compatible cookware. High-quality and Canadian made. Pots fit very well on induction range, and perform beautifully. They also have easy-pour rims, and good handles for grip. Paderno has a big sale in November each year... you can get a 14 piece set for under $300 Cdn. (regular price is $1000)

• bookmom41
    11 years ago

I bought a 12 piece set of Cuisinart Multiclad Pro as my "starter" set, it was about $275. I have a few older pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad which worked well but they weren't induction-compatible. My kitchen isn't done yet but the GE slide-in got plugged in and I heated some soup in the smaller pot--heard a faint buzzing but that's it. It has comfy handles, clad all the way up the sides, flared rim for pouring. I think the set I bought is being phased out in favor of a newly designed handle, so if you check around, you might find it for even less $$.

Any suggestions for an induction-ready non-stick skillet which is reasonably priced? I really do prefer non-stick for foods like scrambled eggs.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Has anyone used the new Demeyere Industry line at Sur La Table? On induction?

• Mary Weaver
    11 years ago

Excellent website to explain induction cookware.

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

> Has anyone used the new Demeyere Industry line at Sur La Table?

We looked at it last weekend, but have not used it. The construction looks very similar to All-Clad (similar thickness, saucepans are clad all the way up the sides). I assume it's intended to compete with All Clad.

• heyrapha
    10 years ago

I just installed a bosch 36 inch 50 amp induction. None of my cookware worked so I made a quick run to goodwill with a magnet to get something to cook with while I shop. One saucepan was a ss disk bottom pan. The other was an enameled iron pot. When I tried the saucepan on power boost, the stainless steel disc discolored with a bluish stain that barkeepers would not remove. An online search indicated that this is common when using very high heat on stainless steel and that the stains were permanent. This bosch induction will boost to 4.4kw on the large burner. Nothing so far on this forum has addressed this high heat issue. I do not want this to happen when I buy new cookware. Does anybody have experience with this?

• Bree2
    10 years ago

Both stainless steel & cast iron prefer to be warmed up gradually, before using the maximum heat setting (& that isn't unique to induction burners at all); that being said however, I am often in a hurry and will rush a pot with the power boost setting to bring a pot of water to a boil quickly. Yes, sometimes I think there may be a slight bluish effect on the *inside* bottom of the stainless steel pot, but it doesn't bother me. (It has also happened when cooking on electric elements.) I find vinegar (alone or with baking soda) will remove any discoloration (when I want all my pots to sparkle like new inside & out!) That goes for removing any stain from SS cookware... vinegar is a miracle worker!
    If you really don't want the inside of your pots to discolor, the solution is to warm the pot gradually (before you throw in the food), until you reach the temperature you want to cook at... then add your food & cook with the sizzling heat.
    Hope this is of some help.

• greglee
    10 years ago

One of my old-style electric burners blew out a couple of months ago, and I replaced it with a portable induction burner (Max Burton 6200 Deluxe 1800-Watt Induction Cooktop, $91 from Amazon). It's pretty nice. But like many of you, I had to get some new cookware. Unlike many of you, I'm cheap.

I don't know that this entire T-fal non-stick model works with induction, but the 8" and 10.25" fry pans that I have do work (T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Oven Safe Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan/Saute Pan Dishwasher Safe Cookware, $22 and $32 dollars).

I needed some pots, too, and this stainless T-fal set came on sale at Amazon for $80: T-fal C798SC64 Ultimate Stainless Steel Copper-Bottom Multi-Layer Base 12-Piece Cookware Set, Silver. I haven't yet learned how to use stainless pans without things sticking and burning, but otherwise, these seem very nice. They do heat up fast on my induction burner, and they have aluminum and a copper slug in the bottom for even heating, with in addition some attractive copper inlay on the outside bottoms.

Finally, I've ordered a Cuisinox Whistling Kettle for $35, which hasn't come yet, but is purported to work on induction.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

I'm a long-time lurker, but infrequent poster. I'm also shopping for induction cookware, and long ago went past the "fun" part. I'm well into "c'mon, guys, where's my perfect pan?" territory. All I want are pans that will last forever and have really comfortable handles. It also has to be able to go into the oven. Flared or rolled rims for easy pouring is nice, too. I don't care about sets, but price is an issue.

I do have some experience with disk-bottom cookware. I have a 1.5 qt saucepan and an 8-qt dutch oven. I've had both of mine for about 11 years and am beginning to see some rust around the seam where the disk meets the pot. Otherwise they've held up fine. Has anyone else seen this?

The rust worries me. I don't like replacing cookware, except disposable non-stick. My other saucepans are all stainless Calphalon Tri-Ply, 11 yrs old and sadly, not magnetic. I did pick up a new induction Calphalon try-ply frypan a month ago. It appears to cook like my older stuff, but with age (mine) I'm finding the handles aren't as comfy as they used to be, especially on the larger saucepan. Better than All Clad handles, no question, but still. It's not an issue with the big fry pan, because it's so heavy, I need two hands to pan-toss food.

So the search continues. I've just ordered a Sur La Table 3.5qt clad saucepan, it should arrive next week. The handle looks like it will be very comfortable. Film at 11! If you've found saucepans with great handles, I'd love to read about them.

No one seems to be mentioning carbon steel fry pans. Those are amazing. About the same thickness and weight as fully clad stainless, but almost completely non-stick. I like clad stainless for making acidic pan sauces, but for everything else, carbon steel rocks. It can take very high heat and go straight into the oven, making it great for searing steaks. It's also excellent for delicate eggs and crepes. Another plus, it's priced very close to all but the cheapest non-stick and will last forever, like cast iron without the weight. A win-win. It's great on induction. I've pitched all of my teflon-coated stuff, and happily. Has anyone else made the switch?

• Bree2
    10 years ago

My two cents:
    I recommend the 'Classic II' ss pots & pans made by Paderno (PEI, Canada). They are extremely well made high-quality ss & also have the rolled lip. (There are no welding points on the inside of the pots to trap food, as is often the case in other ss pots.) The handles fit well in my hands, with a good solid grip under the thumb (doesn't cut into the fingers or hands like some do), and the pans & lids go from stove top to oven (up to 500F). The pots all have a 25-year warranty.
    Not all Paderno cookware lines are induction-friendly, and not all lines are made in Canada, so check carefully before selecting. The 'Classic II' line is both induction compatible & made in Canada. (Lots of professional chefs use Paderno's pots, including the Prime Minister's chef.) If you get them on sale, a great 14-piece set can be had for $300 (reg. $900 -$1000). There are several sales each year, so well worth waiting!
    http://paderno.com/shop/category/classic-paderno/

I used the original "Classic" line from Paderno on my old non-induction stove for 30 years, and they still look like new. I never had a problem or repair in all those years. (But I had to hand the old, non-induction, set over to my kids when I switched to induction.)

• Bree2
    10 years ago

My two cents:
    I recommend the 'Classic II' ss pots & pans made by Paderno (PEI, Canada). They are extremely well made high-quality ss & also have the rolled lip. (There are no welding points on the inside of the pots to trap food, as is often the case in other ss pots.) The handles fit well in my hands, with a good solid grip under the thumb (doesn't cut into the fingers or hands like some do), and the pans & lids go from stove top to oven (up to 500F). The pots all have a 25-year warranty.
    Not all Paderno cookware lines are induction-friendly, and not all lines are made in Canada, so check carefully before selecting. The 'Classic II' line is both induction compatible & made in Canada. (Lots of professional chefs use Paderno's pots, including the Prime Minister's chef.) If you get them on sale, a great 14-piece set can be had for $300 (reg. $900 -$1000). There are several sales each year, so well worth waiting!
    http://paderno.com/shop/category/classic-paderno/

I used the original "Classic" line from Paderno on my old non-induction stove for 30 years, and they still look like new. I never had a problem or repair in all those years. (But I had to hand the old, non-induction, set over to my kids when I switched to induction.)

• Bree2
    10 years ago

sorry... duplicate posting by accident

• Bree2
    10 years ago

btw, on my induction stove, I also like to use cast iron pans--great for non-acidic foods; an enamel pot for quick water boils; and a very nice Lagostina (commercial grade) ss pot with a rounded bottom which is great for stirring sauces. My only complaint about the lagostina pot is that it has weld spots inside the pot (not as easy to clean) and has a slippery/hard-to-hold handle (when pouring).
    I have not tried carbon steel... was told they do not heat very evenly...but no experience myself.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

Bree2 - Thanks for the rec. on Paderno. It looks like these are disk construction. Is that right? I know disk bottoms work well for many cooks, but I'm a little wary of them. Unnecessarily perhaps, but I can't get beyond the fact that both of mine are beginning to show rust at the disk seam. I would feel like I need to baby them to prevent it.

I've got two Lodge cast iron pieces, but they don't get nearly the use my carbon steel and clad stainless get. I've had some sticking issues with them that I don't get with my other pans. They likely just need a lot more use to lose their stickiness. I may have to loan them to my son until they're really well-seasoned. :)

Addressing uneven heating in carbon steel, it may be that the very thin, cheap carbon steel pieces that are stamped from one piece of steel, handle and all, have hot spots. I can't say. I can say that IME and in all the hundreds (literally) of reviews I've read for Lodge, Paderno (Italian, not Canadian) and deBuyer steel pans, I've only seen one review that mentioned uneven heating. That was for a Lodge, and I suspect the reviewer may have received a defective pan; none of the other Lodge reviews mention this.

• Bree2
    10 years ago

I'm no expert on the construction, and can't say whether they are "disk construction" or not, but there are no seams visible--it seems all one piece, and no, definitely no rust has ever appeared; several of my friends/family have Paderno pots and no problems with theirs either. Mine have never been babied, that's for sure! (If you wanted more specific manufacturing info, they have a toll-free number on their site. I found them helpful with my questions when I was choosing pots for induction.)

• Bree2
    10 years ago

Upon further examination of my pots, I do believe you are correct: there does seem to be a very faint line or ridge where the bottom "disk" meets the body of the pot. It may well be a seam, but I can't say for sure. (Sorry, I didn't see it prior to responding earlier today.) Nevertheless, no problems to report.

• pmailkeey
    10 years ago

Re:

"No one seems to be mentioning carbon steel fry pans. Those are amazing. About the same thickness and weight as fully clad stainless, but almost completely non-stick. I like clad stainless for making acidic pan sauces, but for everything else, carbon steel rocks. It can take very high heat and go straight into the oven, making it great for searing steaks. It's also excellent for delicate eggs and crepes. Another plus, it's priced very close to all but the cheapest non-stick and will last forever, like cast iron without the weight. A win-win. It's great on induction. I've pitched all of my teflon-coated stuff, and happily. Has anyone else made the switch?"

"Carbon Steel" ?? How do these fare for not going rusty particularly if dishwashed ?

• cooksnsews
    10 years ago

Don't EVER put carbon steel or cast iron in the dishwasher. Get it??

• westsider40
    10 years ago

And the line is not rust, but likely carbon. Cast iron rusts, stainless doesn't.

• burntfingers
    10 years ago

How do the carbon steel pans hold up with things like onions? My carbon steel knives always discolored and often transferred a metallic taste to the food I cut with them...

Thanks,

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

"And the line is not rust, but likely carbon. Cast iron rusts, stainless doesn't."

True, but I have no idea what's in the disk. Perhaps something there, maybe the bonding material, has rusted. Whatever it is, it can't be cleaned. I'm not worried about cosmetics, just functionality and longevity.

I'm just not a fan. Purely subjective, but still.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

"How do the carbon steel pans hold up with things like onions? My carbon steel knives always discolored and often transferred a metallic taste to the food I cut with them..."

burntfingers,

They're fine, because they're seasoned, like cast iron. But they are reactive, and like cast iron, acidic foods can strip the seasoning.

Mine are the Force Blue line, mid-weight, so they heat quickly and evenly and don't weigh a ton. They're close to clad stainless or thick aluminum in weight.

• studioksr
    10 years ago

Has anyone purchased and cooked with the new Williams-Sonoma Thermo-clad tri-ply stainless cookware? Its supposed to be made by Demeyere for WS (named after Demeyere's wife Hestah) . It looks and feels absolutely wonderful. The handles are MUCH more comfortable than All Clad's, even the All Clad D5 which seems slightly better than the Tri-ply.

I am awaiting a GE induction slide-in induction range and using the time to look for good cookware to replace my wonderful Lifetime cookware which are non-magnetic.

I have not been able to find any independent reviews yet, except for some customer reviews on WS website. (I think they came out around Nov/Dec 2012)

Here is a link to see and read about them:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/205476/?catalogId=45&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Cookware&cm_pla=Cookware_Sets&cm_ite=Williams-Sonoma_Thermo-CladTM_Stainless-Steel_10-Piece_Cookware_Set&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-196000349-2

I hope it is ok to repost this here (I tried starting a new list but haven't had any replies)

• Susan992 Morgan
    10 years ago

Help! I just purchased an induction cooktop and am hopeful I can use my 20+ year old Saladmaster pots and pans. Will they work or not? I really hate to give them up but I'm also looking forward to the new form of cooking.

• Bree2
    10 years ago

if they are magnetic at the base, then you can use them.

Test with a magnet, and if the magnet sticks to the base of the pan, they will work.

• Bree2
    10 years ago

I just took a quick look at the Saladmaster web page, and it indicates their pots are compatible with induction: take a look at the bottom of this link:

http://www.saladmaster.com/index/WhySaladmaster/FeaturesandBenefits.nws

• rxlikestodecorate
    10 years ago

Good for you. I'm surprised that they (Saladmaster) were making their cookware compatible with induction cooktops 20 years ago. I purchased most of my old cookware in the 70's & 80's. I didn't like having to give it up (when I got my induction cooktop), but I'm glad I did. I've purchased a medley of cookware for my induction cooktop & Wow! what a difference it's made for me in my cooking.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

Studioksr,

I like the weight, balance and design of the Thermo-Clad, but haven't purchased any so can't say how it cooks.

I have purchased a saucier from Demeyere's Industry line (for SLT) and like how it performs. It's pretty hefty (I'm weak-wristed) but the balance is wonderful. The handle fork is so wide that weight is distributed over a goodly portion of the pan.

Right now, there's a sale on the Demeyere Proline 11" skillet at BB&B's website, $199. Order it at the store and it will ship to your home for free. Add a 20% in-store coupon and your price is $150 + tax. That's a sweet deal.

• bevwinchester
    10 years ago

I recently installed a Bosch induction cooktop ( which I love) & went on the cookware search. I ended up with several random brands & invested in 2 Demeyere pans, the Proline skillet & a saucepan. They have a beautiful finish & weight, but I will not purchase any more Demeyere. I do not find them easy to clean, the pouring lip on the saucepan is awful & everything sticks in that Proline skillet, even though I have followed seasoning instructions several times. My favorite pans are from the Fissler Solea line- they cook wonderfully, clean easily & have an ingenious lid design.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

Bev,

Have you used any aluminum cookware on your Bosch with great success? Weight is the reason I won't be purchasing any more Demeyere pieces. I haven't had any problems with food sticking to the Proline, at least no more than with my other clad stainless pans. But they are really hefty, with 7 thick plies. for those who don't know, they're about twice as thick as All-Clad or my Calphalon Tri-Ply. So, I'm looking for aluminum, in any form, so long as it has an induction base. My thing is, I like a thick pan for even heating, about 3mm or more in aluminum.

I scored a pair of Mauviel M'Stone pieces for almost nothing on Black Friday, but I'm holding off on more until I get my induction range in January. The waiting is killing me! while I wait, I'm looking at every line I can, so appreciate suggestions.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

Bev,

One more thing! Try pouring some oil in your cold pan, enough to cover the base of the pan. Heat until shimmering, or just barely showing a single wisp of smoke, but no hotter. Pour out the oil, wipe your pan dry and let it cool. This will really increase your nonstick performance, whether you're cooking with oil or not. It lasts until you scrub the pan. Me, I'm an aggressive scrubber of stainless steel, so I normally wait for the Leidenfrost (mercury ball) effect, add oil and back the heat way down. I get easy release that way in all my stainless pans.

Thanks for the Solea rec. How do they compare, weight-wise, to the Fissler Original Pro? If you would be so kind as to weigh one, without the lid, in any size, I'd really be grateful.

• pmailkeey
    10 years ago

Bev,

Re the Fissler - do the glass lids have a vent hole in them somewhere - or how else do the pans vent ? Are the lids dished in the middle so condensate drops off them at the centre of the lid ? I'm trying to figure out if they're going to blow water drops out between the pan and the lid - that's what I've not figured out. I'd not come across the Fissler name before so thanks for finding them! :)

• lindapie
    9 years ago

Just bought a Viking induction range thinking I would use my cast iron pans, and see Viking says not to use cast iron as it retains heat and could damage the ceramic cooktop.
    I particularly like cast iron for browning foods. Any advice out there?

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Yes, do not slide the pans across the surface of the hob.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

You can place a silpat or parchment paper under your cast iron if you are worried about moving it around. I just try to be careful.

Make sure you clean off any spilled salt/sugar, as that can cause scratches under pans.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I have just a single induction burner and I find that when I use my cast iron skillet after a period of time it beeps and I get an error message. It's too hot. And I'm cooking it on medium heat, never on high. Rather disappointing.

The same thing is said about the smooth-top electric ranges, but I've never had an issue with using my cast-iron on it.

• Bree2
    9 years ago

jasdip, i have both a single induction plate (Frigidaire) and an induction cooktop (Electrolux) and use cast iron pots & pans without any problems; and when cooking dried beans (kidney beans), the cast iron pot simmers away on the hob for a couple of hours or more. So I think it is the quirkiness of certain pans on certain cooktops, rather than incompatibility per se, that causes some issues. I have one stainless steel pot that squeaks and whines on occasion, whereas other stainless steel pots do not. If you know anyone with induction, why not try your pan on their hobs to see if it is the pan or the induction plate that is misbehaving.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input Bree. I don't know of anyone with an induction stove but I can always just use my ci skillet sparingly on the induction burner.....stick to my electric coils. I just found it quite perturbing, when it says on the instructions that cast iron is a favourable cookware.

BTW, there wasn't anything in the troubleshooting of what E6 meant. I had to google it. (overheating)

• flsandytoes
    9 years ago

Hi jasdip,

Sorry I'm late to the party. If you're searing, that's quick, right? Do you get the error then?

I think if it were me, I'd likely test the pan to see when the error occurs. Then you'll know how you can use the pan.

Sandy

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Hi Sandy, I just saw this post now.
    Yes, I'm browning hamburger for instance, and then have it at a simmer for sloppy joes. It starts to beep and Error at level 3, so I'll have to cook everything at 1.

I will pay more close attention to see when it starts to get the over-heat error. I have been pulling the skillet off the heat halfway.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Jasdip, I only use my cast iron for quick things, like a sear or fried eggs/potatoes.

Sounds like the simmer is long enough that the CI is holding too much heat for the hob. I use a SS sauté pan for sloppy joes and it works fine. I'd be leery of the ketchup removing my hard-won seasoning on the CI but maybe you're using enameled.

I just got my induction this past summer, so haven't used my ECI dutch oven on it for longish simmers. That's strictly a winter cooking style where I'm at!

• flsandytoes
    9 years ago

Updating, I purchased a Staub ECI skillet (10") last winter and have had no issues. I do let it heat slowly, and don't turn the heat above medium on my largest hob (GE range). I've had no issues at all.

I really think it's a problem with jasdip's portable induction burner. I know many ChowHounds who use cast iron on induction with no problems, many of them cooking long stovetop braises in ECI dutch ovens.