Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refurbished knives

Posted by suska6184 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 14:11

Now that my kitchen is essentially completed, I enjoy cooking more and realize it's long past the time for me to purchase new knives. I have not done alot of homework on this major purchase yet, but something in the newspaper caught my eye. A local store specializing in knives and sharpening of all kinds is having a sale on Wustof Culinar knives and the prices do seem tempting, but the ad says they are refurbished. I never heard of a store selling these (they of course carry all of them new, also) but since this particular line is not very old, where on earth would these knives be coming from?

Yes, I understand the importance of handling them before purchase to be sure they feel right, but since this is a store and not an on-line deal, that part is no problem. What I'm wondering, is this even worth looking at, in your opinion? Since they have a life-time guarantee, what am I short changing myself on, by making such a purchase?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refurbished knives

"I never heard of a store selling these (they of course carry all of them new, also) but since this particular line is not very old, where on earth would these knives be coming from?"

They're probably customer returns to stores (online or otherwise). They've probably have had minimal handling, and depending on the price it could be a very good deal.

BUT, as you mentioned, you should handle them to make sure they're comfortable, and you should realize that lower-end knife sets contain some compromises.

Only you can decide if this deal is right for you...

o

Joe, you consider those to be lower end knives? Wow, and I thought this purchase would last me until the nursing home in a few decades...

o

I'd take a look at the knives. Wusthof Culinar is hardly a lower-end brand. This is one of Wusthof's top lines. If you maintain them and care for them properly they will indeed last you for many decades.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here