Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jones60_gw

magnet test? stainless vs aluminum core

jones60
15 years ago

I feel there is a lot of confusion here. I have a all clad ltd stainless frying pan. which is 18/10. I want to stay away from aluminum on the inside? Thing is if I take a magnet it does not stick to the pan? Question is am I using a stainless steel pan or aluminum? and why does the magnet not stick? My thought is since its aluminum CORE on the bottom and I'm assuming stainless steel on top (in the pan) that the magnet will not stick because its not solid stainless is that correct? Just do not want to cook in aluminum. Am I cooking in stainless on top?? People and I feel if the magnet does not stick its aluminum on top? See why I'm confused?

Comments (7)

• solarpowered
    15 years ago

Is there some reason you think that a magnet should stick to 18/10 stainless steel?

• solarpowered
    15 years ago

All stainless steels contain iron, but not all stainless steels are magnetic. 18/10 stainless steel is not magnetic.

• jones60
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Due to the various rumors about cooking in Aluminum (alzheimers etc).I just do not want aluminum on the surface of my cooking pan. As long as its stainless steel on the surface its okay.I was at macys and the lady had a magnet in her hand to test. I just think people are confused if the magnet does not stick its not stainless on the interior when it is , I guess.Thats where the confusion lies! Aluminum on the bottom and stainless on the top(interior)

• shelcom
    15 years ago

Here's what you need to know about stainless steel.

The second number in a grade of stainless refers to the nickel content. So 18/10 stainless means the steel contains 10% nickel (sometimes called 304 or 304T stainless) The first number always refers to the Chromium content, which is almost always 18% in consumer steel applications.

If you remove the nickel during the manufacturing process, it becomes a magnetic stainless called 18/0 stainless steel (sometimes called 430 or 433 grade stainless steel)

The major differences between 18/10 and 18/0 are as follows:

18/0 stainless works on induction cooktops. That's why the staff at Macys carries one. If the magnet sticks to the pan exterior, it's induction safe. If the magent does not stick (Aluminum, Cast Iron exteriors) then the pan will not work on induction.

The other major difference is 304 or 18/10 stainless resists corrosion much better than 430 or 18/0 stainless. That's what the nickel is there for. Nickel increases the corrosion resistance and tensile stength.

In closing, 18/0 or magnetic stainless is perfectly acceptable as an exterior surface. DO NOT BUY any cookware with an 18/0 interior. It will corrode and pit much faster than 304 or 18/10 stainless steel.

• jones60
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So basically I am using a stainless steel interior (cooking surface Correct?? Even if the outside exterior or bottom of the pan is aluminum clad etc etc. I just want to know its stainless that I'm cooking in?

• shelcom
    15 years ago

All Clad LTD has a hard anodized aluminum exterior which is bonded to an 18/10 stainless interior. The food you prepare is only in contact with stainless steel. It never touches, or is exposed to any aluminum.

To take your fear away a bit more. The fact that All Clad LTD has a hard anodized aluminum exterior is a plus. Anodizing cookware puts a very thin film of aluminum oxide over the raw aluminum. It's virtually impossible to cut, chip, scratch, or peel away the anodized finish down to the raw aluminum. So food or anything else never comes in contact with exposed aluminum.

• diana712
    15 years ago

in response to shelcom at Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 9:15 - cast iron, enameled iron work perfectly well with induction cooktops, even if cast iron isn't usually thought of as "magnetic". I began cooking on an induction cooktop in the mid 1980s and used cast iron on them every day. I suspect that even 18/10 well work (I used stainless pans on them without even magnet testing them), just not as well as 18/0.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fante's on cooktop limitations

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery