Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awm03

Mark Bittman & cookware

awm03
16 years ago

Anybody read Mark Bittman in The NYTimes last Thursday? He writes The Minimalist column in their Wednesday food section. Here is what he thinks is the best equipment for the well-stocked kitchen (hint: it ain't All-Clad!): link below.

PS: currently the article is available without subscription. If not, try accessing the article through your local library's online databases: "A No-Frills Kitchen Still Cooks" by Mark Bittman, NYTimes, 5/9/2007

Here is a link that might be useful: Bittman's preferred tools

Comments (6)

• awm03
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sheesh, it's late. Guess you can't read Mark Bittman last Thursday if his column appears on Wednesday :) Time to go to bed, awm03!

• debd18
    16 years ago

Ok, after 28 years of cooking with cheap, crappy equipment, I just bit the bullet and spent a hefty sum on Henckel's knives and cookware. It arrived yesterday, and being a tightwad who finds spending money to be a painful thing, I did NOT need to read this today!!! LOL

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

Can't say I agree with Bittman's choices, but I can attest to the fact that real chefs don't buy the expensive stuff. One guy who has a cooking show on our local TV channel and cooks and caters for a living uses plain old Revere cookware--battered and scared and still going strong. Check out the cookware the caterers use.

On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with getting expensive cookware if it makes you feel better about cooking. We all need a little bling-bling here and there.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

That was fun to read but I think most people consider a microwave essential. Otherwise I thought his choices were fairly decent if on the cheap (dollarwise) side of things.
    But then I don't have a restaurant supply store near by.

• awm03
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumblebeez, would you believe I just got my first microwave 4 years ago? It was very easy to live without one all these years. Heating food on the stovetop is not difficult, and I still prefer making popcorn in a pot on the stove. I do love cooking vegetables in a microwave, though, and I microwave my daily oatmeal right in the bowl -- those two conveniences have made my diet healthier.

My mother, age 79, still won't use the microwave my sister bought her! She doesn't see a need to use it :)

As for Bittman's choice of cast aluminum pots, I had some for 20+ years. They were a little warped from high heat & hard use & had hot spots. I was forever adjusting the heat underneath them. I much prefer my heavy disc-bottomed stainless pots & pans and am enjoying some cast iron pans I bought recently. They have far more even, steady heat than the old cast aluminum things, and far less scorching too.

• southernorchidlover
    16 years ago

Bittman's article was on point. I felt particularly validated when he admitted to using plates as lids! Whenever a buddy gets married and/or sets up light housekeeping, I buy all the little kitchen tools from restaurant supply stores (measuring cups, spoons, tongs, a pot or two, etc.). The total is much cheaper than most discount stores.

Of course, I can't use the pots myself because the handles and I don't agree. But, for the basics, the store is great. The larger the city, the better.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES