Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momoquilts01

cleaning Le Creuset

momoquilts01
13 years ago

Hi, I'm new here but I'm sure my problem is not! I have a beautiful dutch oven and the bottom is getting discolored. How can I clean this, or maybe it's supposed to do this, kind of a seasoning process. I've also noticed what looks to be a little rust on my lid where the numbers are embossed. Any one else with this problem? thanks

Comments (9)

• stbonner
    13 years ago

I don't think you can do anything about the tiny bit of rust on the lid, other than give it a scrub with Barkeeper's Friend. When the bottom of my LeCreuset pots get a little stained on the outside, I take them outside, lay them upside down on newspaper, and spray them with oven cleaner. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes then rinse and wash.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Le Creuset enamel doesn't need seasoning. That's the whole point. It can sometimes get a little discolored on the inside, but that can be dealt with. I just can't remember now, which combination works best for what, but if you boil some water and baking soda for instance, then give it a little scrub, it should be fine. If it's getting black on the outside, that's probably carbon. That's a bit harder, but you can try putting it in a dishpan with some dishwasher detergent and hot water just to cover the discolored part, then try a nylon scrubbie. I'm sure the oven cleaner works, as Stbonner said, but I hate such harsh chemicals. I once did a number on they outside of one of my pots with soot and grease, but it all came clean with repeated soakings in Oxyclean and elbow grease.

The rust by the numbers means that there is a flaw in the enamel. If this was a first quality pot (not a second from the outlet), it should have a lifetime guarantee. Get in touch with Le Creuset and find out what they can do for you. They may have good recommendations for cleaning, too. And they might cover the rust thing even if your pot actually is a second.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Le Creuset enamel doesn't need seasoning. That's the whole point. It can sometimes get a little discolored on the inside, but that can be dealt with. I just can't remember now, which combination works best for what, but if you boil some water and baking soda for instance, then give it a little scrub, it should be fine. If it's getting black on the outside, that's probably carbon. That's a bit harder, but you can try putting it in a dishpan with some dishwasher detergent and hot water just to cover the discolored part, then try a nylon scrubbie. I'm sure the oven cleaner works, as Stbonner said, but I hate such harsh chemicals. I once did a number on they outside of one of my pots with soot and grease, but it all came clean with repeated soakings in Oxyclean and elbow grease.

The rust by the numbers means that there is a flaw in the enamel. If this was a first quality pot (not a second from the outlet), it should have a lifetime guarantee. Get in touch with Le Creuset and find out what they can do for you. They may have good recommendations for cleaning, too. And they might cover the rust thing even if your pot actually is a second.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

When there was what appeared to be burnt food (never actually identified the substance or source) on the bottom of the exterior of one of my Le Creuset pots many years ago, I placed that pot inside a larger pot filled with water and a few drops of dish washing detergent, simmered it for about ten minutes or so, and then let it cool. The stain had disappeared. Some of my pieces with white interiors have discolored over the years and I have occasionally used a couple of drops of bleach in a full pot of water and simmered that mixture for a couple of minutes. This is probably not recommended, but it has worked for me. I wouldn't use anything concentrated, though. When I say a few drops, I mean that literally. I've had uncovered iron rims left in a dish drainer to dry get a bit of rust. That washes off. The piece should then be dried carefully. Most of my pieces are now thirty-five years old (purchased in hardware stores in France) and look great!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

It was recommended (where we purchased our LC DO) to use BKF to clean it. Ours is the Satin Black, with Satin Black enamel interior. Any residue/stains left behind after cleaning (with just soap and water) come off beautifully with just a little BKF and a blue scrub sponge.

• eleena
    13 years ago

This is OT but related (sorry, I could not help).

Cat_mom,

If you are still reading this - do you like your Satin Black finish?

I was told that many people prefer a light (cream?) colored enamel and that Cooks Illustarted ciriticized the black one (according to a post I read somewhere).

But I am considering a black interior DO in part to avoid the staining issue.

Thanks!

• happyday
    13 years ago

Do you have electric or gas burners? If electric, you must use a diffuser with enameled cast iron cookware to prevent hot spots that damage the enamel. There are several kinds of diffusers that sit over the burner. Get one and turn down the heat a bit, cast iron retains heat so you don't need the burner so hot. With a diffuser the food won't burn on the bottom of the pot.

• blueiris24
    13 years ago

Interesting.... we tried making stove top popcorn in Dutch oven and didn't hear popping but whoops it burned the entire bottom of my dutch oven and I've not been able to get it clean, will have to try some of these ideas

• sowngrow (8a)
    13 years ago

I use a paste of water and baking soda to clean my LC dutch oven, but the last time I used it, the inside bottom of the pot didn't come clean with this method. My pot is white. I was thinking of trying a light bleach solution. I wouldn't want to damage the enamel coating though so maybe I'll just live with it. The pot is either full or put away in my pot drawer anyway!