Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking on Polished Stainless

Posted by photobob (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 16:58

After a couple years of cooking on a rather eclectic mix of cookware (Le Creuset, Tramontina, All Clad, Calphalon One and tri-ply), I've decided I really prefer stainless to anodized. So, I'm slowly replacing the Calphalon One pieces with stainless as I find bargains...

Today I found a Kitchenaid 5-ply 2.5 qt saucier at TJM for $40. Good buy, nice piece, but I wonder about the polished stainless cooking surface. I worry that the polished surface will show scuffs and scratches from my metal whisks and utensils and get pretty ugly-looking pretty fast (it will hang prominently from my pot rack). This isn't really a problem with the "brushed" surfaces of my existing pieces, but I'm afraid of the polished surface.

So, I'm asking those of you who use polished stainless what your experience is with the mirror-like stuff. Will it stand up to day-to-day use?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking on Polished Stainless

I only have one new pot in polished stainless steel, but I did run to my kitchen just now to polish its interior with baking soda after reading your post. Actually, its a rice cooker with a ss pot but it does sit proudly on the top of my stove. :)

I likes my pots, the ss set and all its mismatched ss, iron and carbon steel mates.

Truthfully, I just found this forum and this is my first post, so anything I say about polished ss doesn't really apply since all my stainless steel ware are subject to scrubbing with SOS pads or a Dobie. (Not the iron or carbon steel.)

JMHO, but a cooking pot deserves showing its battle honors.

oldpots

o

Not worried about mirror finishes....my skill as a cook is inversly proportional to the pristine appearance of my cookware.
I agree, I don't like the anodized stuff....but sure don't worry about whisk marks and such in my stainless stuff. I use it, it gets marked up....that's just the way it is.
Linda C

o

Thanks guys! You're absolutely right, of course. I only had to think about my older pieces and and my darkened wooden utensils to remind myself those aren't battle scars, it's "patina". It's the right pan and good quality, so what am I worrying about?

Fortunately, it was still on the store shelf this morning, so it's now happily hanging on the rack. Now, what to make for dinner tonite to welcome it to collection...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here