Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wok seasoning question

Posted by jefd (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 05 at 15:41

I recently tried out my new wok for the first time. I got it from The Wok Shop, and seasoned it using one of their recommended methods; which involved repeatedly coating the inside with oil and baking it for 20 minutes at 450F. This seemed to work well, as the wok ended up with the brown coating that was described in the seasoning instructions. When I used it the first time, it worked great, although there was perhaps a bit more sticking than I would hope for in the long term. After I was done though, I noticed that the stainless steel spatula I used removed the seasoning in a few places. Is this to be expected? If so, will that stop happening as the seasoning builds up with use?

Thanks in advance for your insightful answers!

jefd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wok seasoning question

Don't use stainless steal as tossers....use bamboo or wood...or even silicone. Metal will scratch the seasoning off...
And never use soap....just hot water and a paper towel....or scrub with salt if something nasty is sticking.
Linda C

o

LindaC,

That's a little confusing; all the pictures I see of Chinese chefs stir-frying show them with steel spatulas. How are they getting away with that?

jefd

o

jefd, Let me jump in here if I may. A professional chef will have a very well seasoned wok which will be virtually non-stick. Since your wok is new, the seasoning is just beginning to develop, and probably isn't thick enough yet to withstand a heavy amount of scraping. I have a cast iron wok that I use a SS spautla on which works quite well, but I've had some time for it to develop, and it's not as smooth as a carbon steel wok. I also had to season my wok several times before food quit sticking altogether. (If you plan to fry something in several cups of oil, it helps season the wok more quickly.) Also, remember to heat your wok first, then pour in the oil cold, which helps keep food from sticking. Enjoy your new cookware; I love my wok and it gets used quite often!

(FWIW, I love the Wok Shop; I got my ironwood chopping block there.)

o

Claire de Luna,

Thanks, that's useful to hear. I think I'll plan on some supplemental seasoning after cooking.

jefd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here