Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
18/10 stainless steel

Posted by pinecone (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 08 at 15:27

I wanted to purchase a set of Wearever Premium Cookware 18/10 Stainless Steel. When I used a magnet to the bottom of the pan it stuck. When I used the magnet on the inside of the pan it did not stick. I thought that if a magnet would not stick it was aluminum. BUT!! No where does it say aluminum on the box. I only took the first pan out of the unsealed box. It is an 8 piece set.
What does 18/10 Stainless Steel mean??
Magnet and aluminum does that still hold true for testing???
Thank you for your help.

Happy Days in you life,
pinecone and rudolf :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 18/10 stainless steel

I googled it and came up with this link;

http://www.ssina.com/faq/index.html

o

The magnet test is find out if there is a layer of magnetic steel in the bottom layers that make up the pot. This indicates that the pot is likely suitable for use on an induction cooktop. The test has no other use because as you have discovered, some types of steel are magnetic and others aren't.

o

Just a few rules to keep in mind. The numbers on stainless steel products refer to the percent of materials used to produce a specific alloy. Using 18/10 as an example. The 18 refers to the % of chromium in the finished steel. 10 refers to the % of nickel. 18/10 is defined as Austenitic or, more commonly, 304 grade stainless. In consumer applications it provides the strongest and corrosive resistant material.

The reason the magnet stuck to the base is becasue the manufacturer selected an alloy with no nickel. This steel is called 18/0 stainless (430 grade). The reason this is commonly used is that it still contains 18% chromium which provides strength and resists corrosion. The absence of nickel however makes the cookware suitable for induction (magnetic) cooktops. Not surprisingly, it's also less expensive than 18/10 stainless.

While 18/0 stainless steel is acceptable for impact bonded cookware bases and multi clad exteriors, It should never be used as the actual cookware interior surface. While the chromium is corrosion resistant, the lack of nickel makes the steel very suceptible to pitting. Only use cookware with an interior surface of 18/10. If a magnet does not stick to the interior pan wall, you're fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here