Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elenal_gw

good pasta pot and global knives--opinions

elenal
17 years ago

Hi: I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on Global knives? I'm looking to buy a new 8" chef's, 3" paring, fish, and a meat carving knife. I came across Global, and they look great and seem comfortable. Any experiences with these knives? Also, I'm looking for a good pasta pot (around 7-8 qts). Any suggestions--the AC 12 qt multicooker seems well priced, but it just seems to big and inefficient.

Comments (6)

• nwesterner
    17 years ago

I have some global knives and purchased them because they fit my smaller hands. They seem well balanced for me and I have no problem with the metal handles. They are very sharp when purchased, but I haven't been able to sharpen them quite as much as initially (which may be good as I ended up in emergency with a cut after my hand slipped on a slippery onion). I have enjoyed the knives.

• elenal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for sharing your experience with the Global knives, nwesterner

• eddy_34
    15 years ago

I am a big fan of Global knives. They are pretty pricey but they conistently come out on top of consumer tests. They differ a bit from the European Knives such as Henkels & Wustofs- in that they are made of a Vanadium / Moybedeum / Stainless alloy. Makes the metal harder, are able to be sharpened to finer edge (12 degrees) and keep a sharp edge longer. I wouldn't swap mine for anything. A word of warning if buying Global Knives online. There are stacks of counterfeit for sale on the web, so make sure you buy from an Authorised retailer (Amazon pricing is actually pretty good). Have attached a link to a article on Counterfeit Global Knives, the usual scams & how to spot a fake. So go for an orginal & you won't be disappointed.
    Cheers

Eddy

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Knives

• lindac
    15 years ago

If you are looking for a pot to cook pasta in, it doesn't matter what it is....just a cheap stainless pot. I bought one for $5 at some sort of remainder store.
    Linda C

• Seasyde
    15 years ago

Can't help much with the global knives. I used one, once in a cooking class. It seemed nice, but I didn't have a chance to give it much of a workout.

As for the pasta pot, I've got a Cuisinart 7 qt. thats maybe 10 years old (just a guess ) At the time I didn't feel I could spend the money on the equivalent AC. At this point I could afford to replace it but see no reason to. It does a good job on pasta & find its good for quite a few other things as well without having to drag out my big stockpots. Just a note - if you use the pasta insert & fill the pot too full the boiling water can slosh out from between the insert & the pot. I can easily cook 1# of pasta. If you need to cook larger quantities on a regular basis & want to use an insert I'd consider looking for a slightly larger pot.

Lorri

• charlesfish
    15 years ago

Hi Elena
    I recommend the global 8 inch / 20 cm chefs knife. I have had one for a couple of years- and couldn't be more pleased. Just make sure you also invest in a decent whetstone and get in a bit of practice sharpening it.

I got mine online through the following site- arrived the next day-& pretty reasonable prices. The site also has a couple of brief articles on sharpening global knives & how to spot counterfiets.

Hope this helps & Enjoy your knives

Charles

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Knives