Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monsoon99_gw

burnt rice in le crueset cookware

monsoon99
18 years ago

I just burned some rice in my heavy enameled french oven le crueset pot. I have tried hot water and soap and putting it on a low flame with baking soda, soap and water but not much luck. Any ideas on how to remove the burnt marks.

Also how do you clean your le crueset griddle after each use. I have a hard time cleaning it post use and soaking does not seem to help very much.

Comments (12)

• kris_zone6
    18 years ago

Put some powdered dishwasher detergent and water in the pot and simmer it for quite a while. This should make it easier to clean. I don't have a griddle, so I can't help you there. Good Luck!

• steve_o
    18 years ago

Whenever I have those marks on my Le Creuset (inside or outside, assuming we're talking the enameled finish and not the matte-black "nonstick" finish), I use a little Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser, mixed with water into a paste and applied with a "light-duty" scrubby sponge. It has worked for me every time.

• Lynne_SJO
    18 years ago

You could also try manually scraping the burnt on rice off, once it has been soaked and softened for awhile. If you have any heavy wooden or teflon spatchluas or spoons, that might work. Metal would too, but it could also scratch the interior.

I have the griddle, which we use 3-4 nights a week for salmon fillet. I have had it in constant use for 4 years now and it still looks new, other than some darkening ("Patina") to the outside surface. I used to put it in the DW, but it would not clean it good enough for my liking, even though our Bosch will clean just about anything - including baked on lasagna. I think it may have something to do with the rougness of the non stick surface. Anyway, all I do to clean the griddle is:

1) Wash in hot soapy water (I just turn on the faucet spray on high, put some soap on a dish brush and srcub).

2) Clean once again with a SOS soap pad--Just the inside surface and grooves, not the outside. I know that they say not to do this with non-stick, so be forewarned - but I have been doing it with this pan for 4 years now and it still looks new - no damage to the surface, which I suspect is because it is much different and more durable than the typical non-stick you will see on other types of cookware, such as stainless steel.

3) Rinse with hot water. (Sometimes I finish with step 1 to just be sure that the brill

• Lynne_SJO
    18 years ago

Sorry - hit send in mid-sentence. To finish step three, I will repeat the hot soapy water step and then finish with a good rinse just to be sure to get all the SOS soap pad residue off. Dry with a paper towel and you are done.

Good luck. This is wonderful cookware! I have tons of it in just about all the colors. Have you seen the new bright lime color that Williams-sonoma has? It is neat.

Lynne

• lilathabit
    18 years ago

That is something I always seem to do.

I found Dawn Power Dissolver recently and it actually works pretty well. You may need to try it 2 rounds instead of getting it on the first try, but it does indeed work.

• Karen Mickleson
    18 years ago

I posted a similar question recently about removing cooked on grease from le creuset Silverstone non-stick. I had a great omlette pan I'd used on too high heat & it had accumulated a bunch of black residue.

I found a half empty can of Easy Off No Fume [HA, HA] Oven Cleaner under my sink. I took the pan outside, sprayed this stuff inside it, and on the messy parts where the handle met the pan & the handle. Next morning, VOILA! It all came off, and I was delighted with the results. I'm going to take out all my gunked up cookware & spray this stuff on it. In the house, it's pretty gross, but outside, no problemo!

Karen

• Karen Mickleson
    18 years ago

I posted a similar question recently about removing cooked on grease from le creuset Silverstone non-stick. I had a great omlette pan I'd used on too high heat & it had accumulated a bunch of black residue.

I found a half empty can of Easy Off No Fume [HA, HA] Oven Cleaner under my sink. I took the pan outside, sprayed this stuff inside it, and on the messy parts where the handle met the pan & the handle. Next morning, VOILA! It all came off, and I was delighted with the results. I'm going to take out all my gunked up cookware & spray this stuff on it. In the house, it's pretty gross, but outside, no problemo!

Karen

• dayenu
    18 years ago

Cover the burn area with liquid dishwasher cleaner. add some water and let it soak for a day. the burned stuff with float up and can be literally rinsed away. It's the enzymmes in the detergent that eats away at the food.

• Ocfmg
    18 years ago

Le Creuset sells a special cleaner that has worked well removing stains at the bottom of the pots. You can get it in the outlet stores or through some stores. It has removed discoloration at the bottom of my pots. Love them, they are great for use. I got the link for it from one place. Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking.com

• mollys_mom
    18 years ago

I always used Easy-Off oven cleaner on my enamel pots and pans. It works like a charm - they cleaned up like new!
    When I got married and moved out of state I left all my wonderful Le Creuset cookware to my brother - such a mistake. I have never found anything that cooked as well. Sigh...

On a lighter note - We got a set of Magnalite anodized aluminum cookware from my husbands parents as a housewarming gift. All seemed to be blissful till I burned something in one of the pans and went to my trusty Easy-Off solution! AUGHHHH! As I sprayed, to my horror, the pan's gray coating literally dissolved!

I quickly tossed out the whole set and replaced them with All Clad LTD - to this day (16 years later), no one seems to have noticed! LOL.

• bethgratch
    17 years ago

Just a note, oven cleaner is very toxic. Used outside the home as one person suggested, it would leach into the soil - drinking water - lakes - plants - garden - food etc.

A healthy safe alternative: cover with a thick layer of baking soda onto a cool pan. Using a spray bottle, spray the baking soda down with water ntil it is damp, not saturated. The water and baking soda together will help break down the food particles. Every few hours spray the baking soda down again to keep it moist. Continue this process over several hours, spraying water as the baking soda begins to dry out.

Scrape the baking soda out. Food residue will be scraped out with the baking soda. Rinse thoroughly.

This same method can also clean your oven. It will literally clean itself without you--you just add water to the baking soda! For me it's less work than an oven cleaner and a lot better for my family and environment.

If you must use a commercial oven cleaner, be sure to well ventilate the area and use gloves.

And remember, no fume doesn't mean no chemicals. It means they took out the offensive smell. In a way I prefer to smell it, as I would know if it leached into my pans/stove/food.

• elisamcs
    17 years ago

I've burned a few things and have used the baking soda and vinegar solution. Even after the food comes off, a stain may remain. Solution? Bleach. Fill the pan with water, put in a little bit of bleach and let sit overnight, or at least a few hours. Wash it out with detergent, and it's good as new.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals