Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KA Ice Cream attachment vs. Stand alone maker?

Posted by lilathabit (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 13:19

The kids have expressed interest in ice cream making. Who am I to stand in their way? ;)

Which should I go with?

I can't see how the KA bowl would save any more space than a modest size stand alone maker, unless you can fit the bowl inside of another one for storage.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KA Ice Cream attachment vs. Stand alone maker?

I will be really interested to see the responses to this posting. A month or so ago, I posted a similar question on the cooking forum. Most responders loved the KA attachment. I bought one but had really poor results. I followed the directions to a T, but my ice cream never got solid. It was more like a runny soup. I had the same experience a few years ago with an ice cream maker that used the frozen bowl method.

The "old-fashioned" ice cream maker is a pain with the ice and salt, but it definitely gives me the best results.

Gail

o
RE: KA Ice Cream attachment vs. Stand alone maker?

I have the cuisinart stand-alone.. 2 quart size -- and I love it. To get good results you MUST:

1) freeze the drum/tub SOLID for 12 - 15 hours
2) chill ALL of the ingredients you are going to use prior to making the ice cream or sorbet
3) the ice cream does not come out solid -- it comes out with a nice semi-soft texture.. if you want it more solid, pop it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so.
4) do NOT take the drum out of the freezer until you are completely ready to add the ingredients.

In the long run you'll find making sorbets to be much quicker/easier.. I make them several times a week (I make a half gallon of simple syrup at a time and keep it chilled in the fridge - I also keep the drum in the freezer unless I am in the process of making the sorbet).

I have had no problems with soupy or bad textured sorbets or ice creams.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here