Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery knife...

Posted by sleevendog (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 13:14

We have good knives. 2 sets of Wusthof Classic. One set from 24yrs ago and i'm guessing the second set...vaguely remember picking it up 15yrs ago. Must have been a good price and a bigger set. Some other oddities from wherever and not so great so they ended up in the vacation home. One of the odd ones must have been from college days. Handle looks always thirsty, pale cheap wood. I love this thing. (the blade anywho). It is similar shape to my Wusthof chef 7'' but the tip, the 2'' before the blade is useful for chopping, is serrated like my tomato knife. I have randomly look for something similar over the years in a better quality, even on-line.
It is such a useful tool. Using the serrated tip to get through a tomato and the rest of the blade slices so well. I don't have a pic as it is far away.

Anyone have something like that?

I do have a nice serrated, nice and long, tomato slicer. And a good cheese knife that also does a tom. Just curious why i've never come across something similar when it does so many things so well.
My big heavy steak knives have a serrated tip. Hmmm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery knife...

Check out the thread on the Kitchens forum. Very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's talk knives

o
RE: mystery knife...

I found it. HarvardCutlery 391. It had wedged itself under the cutlery tray in the cabin.
An old company no longer in business. Much nicer quality than i had remembered.
(it has been missing for a few years now). One is listed on ebay right now.
My question is, if my pic loads, if another maker produces a similar blade style. It is such a useful tool. My husband remembers me having it in college in RhodeIsland. Must have picked it up in a thrift store there.
Anyway, mystery solved.
Would be a good house warming gift, wedding, and my father needs a new knife more all purpose. It does slice tomatoes beautifully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here