Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tachi vs Kyocera ceramic knives

Posted by headvase (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 12:35

I have both Kyocera and Tachi 6" chefs and 4" utility knives. I like both types except the Tachi seems to be more balanced and is about half the price. Tachi does offfer a life time warranty and I did mess up and break the tip on mine and they replaced it free of charge.

Thanks
Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tachi vs Kyocera ceramic knives

Thanks for the post. I have quite a few Kyocera ceramics which I like because of the sharpness -- the "razor blade with handle" thing that makes them superior for many tasks. The edges no NOT hold up as well as claimed however, and I send them in at about 12-18 month intervals.

If the Tachi's are equiv. or better and cheaper (internet search seems to indicate much cheaper!) I might be tempted to buy a few more. I will not be buying any more Kyoceras. Too expensive, too delicate, and impossible to maintain personally.

o
RE: Tachi vs Kyocera ceramic knives

The Tachi rep. told me Kyocera sharpens their ceramic knives at a 19 degree angle and Tachi at a 17 degree angle. He said that is why they hold an edge longer and don't chip as easy. I've had my Tachi knives a little over a year and they have held up great. I figure if they last just as long as Kyocera the price difference is a big savings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here