Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my4thgarden

Is this cookware suitable for induction?

My4thGarden
10 years ago

I know that the bottom of pots and pans has to be magnetic in order to be suitable for induction, but I also have read that the base has to be completely flat. As I understand it, the heat is generated only if the bottom of the pan is fully in contact with the induction cooktop. My cookware is either all stainless steel or in the case of my Scanpan Classic it is titanium ceramic with a stainless bottom disk. Most of my stainless is Farberware which is what I prefer because it is lighter weight and suitable for someone who cannot manage heavier items. However, looking at the bottom of any Farberware pot there is a central circular VERY slightly recessed area (with the logo etc) which although it is stainless and magnetic, would not physically directly TOUCH the induction cooktop. It's maybe a millimeter or two recessed from thte rest of the surface. The Scanpan cookware undersides are made the same way. Does that mean that if I were to put this cookware on an induction burner there would be NO heat generated in those central circle areas of the pan undersides which are ever so slightly recessed??

I currently have an electric smooth top range and have no problems because of course the heat from the burner reaches all the parts of the pan underside. But as I understand the way induction works, there is no heat generated by any part of the pan that is not actually in contact with the induction surface. True? False?

I have always interpreted the meaning of "completely flat" to mean that the bottom of the pan cannot be warped, but maybe for induction that means there cannot be any sort of a recessed area either ... however slight that recessed area may be???

I am already rethinking induction because almost all of the pans I use on a daily basis are smaller than the minimum pan sizes but if in addition to the size issue the bases of the pans are not optimal then I will have to give up the idea of induction and try to find the most suitable smooth top range instead. I see that there is an LG range on which all four of the burners are expandable with the smallest diameter being 6 inches. My current cooktop has two very small expandable burner areas of 4 1/2 inches and 5 1/2 inches and those are the ones that I use in more than 75% of my cooking.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living