Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bakeware turned black!

Posted by kathycooks (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 7:09

I just got a new kitchen (dw, conv oven, etc) and now my baking sheets are covered with a gray coating. It rubs off on my hands, but doesn't come off when I scrub it. First question, which appliance caused it? I'm assuming DW, but not sure. Second, how do I get rid of it? Third, what type of bakeware should I buy to avoid it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bakeware turned black!

What kind of baking sheets do you have now?

If aluminum, yes, putting things in the dishwasher will damage them. I just hand-wash my sheet pans.

o

I put my aluminum baking sheets in to the dishwasher for years...no damage until I started using this new Cascade Complete...
I won't buy that stuff again...messes up my aluminum pans and causes silver to tarnish.
I don't think it's the dishwasher, but rather the product you are using.
Linda c

o

Yes, it's the dishwashing detergents, not the action of the DW itself. I wasn't clear on that when I posted. But aluminum will corrode.

Trouble is, most new machines work best with non-phosphate, enzyme-based detergents. But the new detergents aren't good for certain things you put into the DW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here